Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I've Survived Another One

Yes, I have lived to tell the tale of another whirlwind tour of Washington, DC with a huge group of seventh graders. The weather was hot and beautiful. The kids were well-behaved and fun.

What a great experience it is to walk through Mount Vernon and, as we're climbing the stairs at the big house, hands on the banister, remind the kids that 200 years ago, George Washington's hands ran along that exact same smooth railing of wood. It's priceless to stand on the north steps of the White House, looking over the lawn as we exit, and remind the kids, "Hey guys, the President stand here to give speeches. Right here, on this spot." It brought tears to my eyes to watch "my kids" reverently, silently, run their hands along the thousands and thousands of names on the Vietnam Wall.

It's fun to put the kids in matching shirts and be able to turn them loose to run up the steps at the Lincoln Memorial, and know I can still see them all.



Buddy Bill did the wreath laying ceremony at Arlington this year. This year was Bill's 25th time running this trip for the students, and so many things fell into place for him doing the wreath laying (OK, helped along by me), which he has always wanted to do, but never had the opportunity to do. Making the trip about the kids has always been the priority. This was a once-in-a-lifetime event for Bill, just as it has been for so many students over the years.


And knitting? I cast on for the Dream In Color Shrug in Lipstick Lava once we hit the road. That sparked conversation with one of the mom chaperones on the bus, who also happens to be a knitter. Know what else? Her mom is one of the ladies I knit with on Tuesday nights at my LYS! Hi Heather and Annette! Knitters are everywhere. I didn't get as much knitting done as I had hoped because I wasn't feeling well for a good portion of the trip, but I'm making some progress now.

It's good to be home.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a great trip!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 at 10:08:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Looks like you had a great trip!!

Thursday, June 19, 2008 at 4:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

A wonderful way to cap off the year, Karen! I hope you feel better soon.

Friday, June 20, 2008 at 9:40:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

OH my gosh! You're my first sale!!! Thank you so very much!The post office is closed tomorrow but your yarn will be on it's way on Monday!

Ok I'm really, really excited about all of this...

Saturday, June 21, 2008 at 6:40:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home