Saturday, March 10, 2007

What I Saw Friday...

Friday afternoon it was warm and sunny, nearly 50 degrees. (Today even more so!) My dogs were making a racket in the backyard, loud Lab barking combined with the screeching of a large bird. A hawk is regular visitor in my neighborhood, which is a bit unusual considering our urban location; being less than a mile from a shopping center, less than 3 miles from a mall, and less than 5 miles from the Ohio Turnpike. Hearing the ruckus, I went to investigate. The hawk was indeed sitting directly over my backyard on the telephone pole.

After letting the dogs in and grabbing my camera, which is almost always by my computer near the back door, I managed to snap this shot:

The hawk had moved farther away, but my camera has a 10x zoom lens. What attracts the grand bird? One backyard neighbor has several bird feeders. This hawk finds the small birds create quite a dinner buffett! Sometimes this grand fellow snatches dinner from the neighbor's yard and dines in my backyard. The kids and I have seen him many times over the past two years. This is the first time I've managed to capture him in a photo, though.

Back to regular programming next time...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was just surfing by (knitting blogs) when I read about the hawk making use of your bird feeder buffet.

We have just had the same thing happen here (Nova Scotia, Canada).

DH called me to look out the back window this afternoon, at the birdfeeder. (It's a pheasant feeder, a wire contraption that sits on a little platform a few inches off the ground.)

On the platform, sitting very, very still was ... a big yellow and white pussy cat - pretending to be a pigeon.

The sound of our laughter must have convinced it the game was up. And it ran away when I opened the back door.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 at 6:27:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home