Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I think I can... I think I can...

This morning our district had scheduled professional development for staff members. Students were on a 2 hour delay that, for once, wasn't weather related, while we all sat together to be taught. I brought my knitting along to help me concentrate and pay attention. During that time, I knit nearly an entire baby sock, thus completing a pair for a friend who just delivered baby boy #2 last week, the day after my birthday.

That proves a couple of things. One, I CAN knit socks. (OK, I can knit wee little socks so far!) Two, I can complete a pair of socks. I will document these statements with photos, but for now you have to trust me. The socks are outside in the car, and right now I'm in jammies.

On to the big people socks. The socks for me. You know, the ones I want to make from the yummy Apple Pie sock yarn.

Why in the world is it taking me so long to knit with these toothpick-like size 2 needles? I am picking up speed, and I am making progress, but when I look at how far I've gotten, I can't imagine that I'm ever going to have a whole sock, much less two of them!


The process for socks, now that I have worked through it, really is not all that difficult. I have done more complicated knitting. Turning a heel only sounded complicated. Picking up stitches and knitting the gussett isn't tough. Shaping the toe is just decreases. Even kitchener stitch, which so many fear, isn't scary to me. What is giving me trouble is the small size of the needles. Until this point, the smallest needle I've used is size 5 or 6 (US).

Like The Little Engine That Could, I guess I will keep telling myself "I think I can, I think I can," and just keep moving forward, one teeny, tiny stitch at a time. At the risk of sounding crass, though, I'll be really honest. I think I've picked my teeth with things bigger than these size 2 knitting needles!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home