Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Yes, I Am A Pirate... 200 Years too Late

"The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder..."

Words from a Jimmy Buffett song that fit me and my life this week. If you know the song, and the year I was born, you know why it might fit me. And to help me celebrate the anniversary of my birth, my younger sister gifted me with this:




But now, I have big, Big, BIG knitting news for you all! Look at what I did last night!!!



Yes, that is my FIRST sock! I still have to knit a couple of rows toward the toe and then kitchener/graft the toe, but I did it!! Isn't it cute? It's only about 4 inches long total. I used size 7 DPN's and some leftover worsted yarn from a baby afghan I made for a friend. Maybe I'll make a second one and include the pair with the afghan... they can be big booties, right? I used this pattern Super Quick Baby Socks.

So what finally brought on the socks that I've been so long wanting to do, but not jumping into? I needed something to occupy my brain. From time to time my life gets complicated. Painfully complicated. Seriously. And I have a thinking problem. Rather than think and overthink the situation, I push myself to do something else. The last time I needed to occupy my brain in a big way, I learned how to knit cables. I made a pair of cabled wrist warmers over the weekend, and that not being enough to keep me sufficiently occupied, I jumped into trying sock last night.

The good news is that I have a nice pair of wrist warmers - see a photo of one below - and I feel pretty confident about following a simple sock pattern now. And I made it through my birthday without anyone doing anything obnoxious or embarrassing to me. Whew!



One last note... Mystery solved. My friend Donna says she took Bruno shopping for that wonderful card I wrote about in my last post. Thanks, Donna! Coco says she wants to go along next time.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sourire11 said...

Congrats on your first sock heel! You'll be a sock knitting pro in now time.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 at 12:55:00 PM EST  
Blogger Liz said...

Nice wrist warmers! Did you create the pattern yourself? Way to go!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 8:29:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home