Monday, February 05, 2007

Brrrrrrrrr!

This morning it was -5 Farenheit. With the wind chill it was about -25 F. School was cancelled. It was just too doggone cold to have kids walking to school, and kids who ride buses could not wait outside for them. That's IF the buses would start. Guess what? School for tomorrow was already cancelled by 5:30 PM today. Same forecast as today. We reached a whopping high of 7 degrees F, but wind chills had us way below zero all day. Even the outdoor ice rink was closed here today. Go figure.

What did I do with my bonus day off? I met my girlfriends for coffee and knitting at the coffee shop owned by our LYS! My car (a crossover between a van and SUV) is only a year old. It had no trouble starting in this weather. The kids spent the day with their dad, who also had the day off. He works for a different district, but that district also closed. My knitting focus has been my Irish Hiking Scarf, and it is nearing completion. Yes, I've decided it is for me.

Calorimetry has been frogged. Somehow, on the second half, I got distracted. That's not hard to do around here. Two crazy kids live here. Two very large dogs pleading to be let in and out follow me around. There's an open door policy for friends; some take it more literally than others and show up at odd hours. Anyway, long story short, I messed up. Along with the goof-up along the way, it was just too big. (Note to B: I did NOT fry that many brain cells in the 80's!) I've noticed in my blog-surfing that others have had to reduce the original cast-on stitches for this project from 120 to 100 or even 80, so I know it's not just me. The up-side is that I have gotten a great deal of practice doing short rows. One more new knitting skill learned. Oh! I haven't given up on Calorimetry. I plan to start it again with fewer stitches.

I have noticed, however, that people look at me much differently when I say, "I have three knitting projects going on right now," as opposed to "I have four knitting projects going on right now."

Why is that?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger the secret knitter said...

Three projects are understandable. Four, well, that's just crazy.

Nevermind. I don't know what I'm talking about. :)

If only colleges cancelled for the cold. I'm not banking on it, but it sure would be nice.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 12:42:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home