Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Knitting ADHD and New Tricks

If you look at my list of Coming Attractions down on the left side of this page, you might notice that I have 4 (yes, FOUR) works in progress (WIP's). EEEK!

I can explain. Really. It's not Knitting ADHD.

First, there's the sweater. The big project. The settle into the couch during a movie and I'm not getting up project.

Next, there's Irish Hiking Scarf #2. I love this project. It's taking a while to complete because it goes back and forth to school with me every day and I work on it in my office when I have students who are with me for more than just a few minutes. Like yesterday. I have a student dealing with depression/anxiety and he was just returning to school. He spent most of his day with me. He went to 3 out of 8 classes. A big part of the day he spent hiding in my office. Not a big deal - he thought I would I would send him home. By the last 3 class periods of the day he was tired of me. But I did knit. The scarf is about 1/3 the length I want it to be.

Then there's the Fuzzyfeet slippers for Mayhem. A bit challenging since I'm figuring out how to do socks along with this project. I have to concentrate on this, but they will be felted afterward so minor boo-boos won't show. I hope.

How do I explain yesterday? I started Kureyon Chan with the Lime Blue Malabrigo I had in my stash. I hadn't planned to start this, but my friend Sharon wanted to make this little purse too. In order to do this, I had to figure a couple of things out that I hadn't previously done. Picking up stitches was one. The pattern calls for knitting a rectangular bottom in garter stitch, and then picking up stitches all the way around. You knit on in the round from there. Sharon couldn't picture it, so I started before she did, after figuring it out myself.

I showed her this afternoon when we met for coffee.










Knitting Help.com is a great place to get help, complete with videos that show techniques in both Continental and English styles of knitting. Chris, the talented lady who created the pattern, was a great help when I had questions. I also had to figure out i-cord for the purse straps. Once again, knittinghelp.com has a very clear video to watch.

Happily I can report that I am over 1/3 of the way finished with K-Chan already.

I can also report that after venturing into my LYS, Vintage Yarns, today with Sharon, I came out having spent $0!! I won't tell you how I much I spent there on Saturday, but it involved a set of Denise Interchangable Needles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home