Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Boys Can So Knit!

Remember that "no knitting at school" rule? I never asked if that meant I couldn't teach knitting at school. My penchant for doing first and asking forgiveness later led me to agree immediately when two of my 8th grade boys asked for knitting lessons last week. How can someone who works at a school say no to someone who is seeking new knowledge? Seriously. A basketball player and a member of the track team wanted to learn to knit. It is my duty as an educator to share my knowledge of the knitterly arts with those who seek to learn! Right? Agree with me here!

J and P and I set up on Friday a time and I smuggled in needles and some worsted weight yarn for them. To save time, I cast on the stitches ahead of time. We needed to be able to get started right away. The boys did great! I took a photo on my cell phone, and managed to email it to myself. Hopefully you can see that their skills, especially P's, were way beyond what I expected.

"This is kind of like meditation," one said. "This uses way different muscles than track," the other said. We talked about fine motor skills vs. gross motor skills and how knitting might open up other brain pathways. "I could use some help, I'm trying to set a new pole vault record at an indoor track meet tonight."

Guess what? I found out Monday he broke the record! We meet for knitting...er... group counseling again tomorrow.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so awesome Karen! My 4th grade teacher taugh us how to knit, in retrospect I think it was the coolest thing ever. Fine motor skills, doing something constructive with your free time. And she took all the squares we knitted and sewed them together to give to the nursing home in town. Doing something nice for others!



I have no choice but anonymouse butit's the other Liz. ;)

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 at 10:27:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes absolutely! All my boys knit!

Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 1:57:00 AM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Isn't this one of the cornerstone concepts of the Waldorf schools? You're such a rebel, Karen! Kudos to you on cleverly weaving your way around a stupid rule.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 2:52:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I love it. :)

Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 11:43:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth said...

You're asking us to agree??? Who do you think reads this blog? Of COURSE we agree!! LOL And they're doing really well. :)

Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 6:54:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

That's a GREAT story!!!

Friday, March 14, 2008 at 3:01:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home