Sunday, July 06, 2008

The Sweetest Thing

Sometimes the simplest gestures mean the most - a phone call out of the blue, a card arriving via snail mail just because, a friend showing up with a fresh, hot cup of coffee. Those kinds of things mean more to me than extravagant gifts, particularly because often times gifts are given without much thought going into them. Something helpful related to knitting just about sends me over the moon, because I know then that whoever did that has really taken the time to know and care.

Friday afternoon, July 4, to be exact, Buddy Bill and I were sitting outside, enjoying the day. He was reading, I was knitting. It wasn't quite sundown, and the temps were cool for the 4th of July. We have this easy relationship that doesn't require words all of the time. A companionable silence is often fine; that quiet doesn't have to be filled up with chatter or other noise like it does with other people. After a while, I realized that my knitting was going along quite smoothly. I hadn't had to tug on the ball of yarn to get more yarn to work with in a while. Glancing sideways at B, I found that he had pulled out some of my ball of yarn, and was feeding yarn to me as I knit, all while continuing to read his book. Without saying a word.

*melt*

At that very moment, I just about turned into a human puddle in the backyard. (Is that possible?)

I've happened to come across some male knitters, but I honestly do not know other men who will patiently, all on their own, sit and hold the yarn and quietly unspool it as their loved one knits. My knitterly friends - females - all agreed that the guys generally stay away from their yarn. And of course, Bill has no idea why what he did is so special, which makes it even more special.

Girls, if I ever toss him back I'll give you advance warning!

PS. Bill? You're still going to bring me coffee, right?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee Karen. I didn't know it would mean so much. Maybe I was just stringing you along? I'll bring you coffee whenever or wherever you want.

Bill

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 1:04:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...he left a comment - *gush*
I knew hubby was a keeper when he wound balls of yarn while I was pregnant and he clears the room with kids when I preform delicate knitting surgery.

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 7:37:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww....sounds like a keeper!

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 8:09:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw. It made me smile.

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 9:19:00 AM EDT  
Blogger The Gadabout Knitter said...

*Melts for you*!! That is beyond sweet (and bonus points for leaving a comment too!) ;)

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 12:47:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Twitchy Knitter said...

Yep, keeper.
And I agree with gadabout, bonus points for the comment!

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 1:06:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

It's all about the little things in life. Very sweet story.

Monday, July 7, 2008 at 4:17:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww...total tears here! So sweet.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 at 6:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

I'm so not the mushy type, but I'd consider that the sweetly wonderful too! And "throw him back?" Give me enough time to hop a plane to T-town.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 at 2:49:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Bill is a keeper!!!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 2:10:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home