Sunday, March 18, 2007

Alone time

There are some people I know who will do just about anything to avoid being alone. Not me. I really enjoy being alone. That's probably because it happens so seldom. My house is busy and chaotic to the point of me often saying, "I go to work every day because it's the one place I can go to the bathroom by myself." Seriously.

This weekend, Mayhem and The Absent-Minded Professor took off with their dad to see their godparents and also go to the Deer and Turkey Expo at the Ohio State Fairgrounds. It's an annual thing. That left me, worn out from a hectic school schedule and some late nights (I'm a building rep for my teacher's union and we've had some heavy-duty grievance hearings this past week), home with the 4-legged kids.

Know what I did? Not much! I slept. Finally. Embarrassingly late, I might add. Bruno and Coco are so good to me, when I let them sleep with me. They know if they get to sleep in the people bed, that they better not ask to go outside at 6:30 in the morning. When the big old blue blanket gets tossed on top of the bed, the doggy blanket, the tails start wagging. B & C know they get to be on the bed! Normally Bruno sleeps on the floor beside the bed, and Coco sleeps in a crate (that's a nice word for doggy cage). Lest you think badly, it's big enough for me to get into, or both of my kids to be inside at one time.

Saturday I didn't do much. At some point I got dressed enough to go out and clean up the "land mines" in the backyard. After that, I built a fire and camped out on the couch. I read an entire James Patterson novel, Step on a Crack. I didn't feel like knitting. (What's up with that???) I watched the fire. I dozed. I went to bed and slept 12 hours.

Today I did venture out of the house. To reward my furry compatriots for their stellar behavior, we walked two miles early this afternoon. B= 120 lbs. C= 95 lbs. Connect them both to one leash with a splitter. I got more exercise than they did! After that, I headed to Borders to pick up this: The Friday Night Knitting Club and this: Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs From Interweave. I added a large coffee to my purchases there. Seattle's Best Coffee isn't Starbucks, but it will do in a pinch. Plus my purchase adds to my holiday rewards bucks.

On the way home I stopped at Panera to get a sandwich to go, planning a late lunch/early dinner. Heading toward home, I called my favorite Chinese restaurant to order a take out container of hot and sour soup to go with it. Might as well have what I want since I don't have to feed any kids, right?

In about two or three hours the quiet will be shattered by "Mom! Guess what we saw!" (Wow) "I got to touch a..." (Eeewwww) and "Do I have to take a shower?" (YES... especially after touching that!) The washer and dryer are already going, getting the kids' clothes ready for another week of school. I'm going to clear away the evidence of my little smorgasbord meal and go knit.

Or read.

Or not.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

So great to have options and the time to consider them! Enjoy your breather, Karen.

BTW, I have the "Favorite Socks" book and I just love it!

Sunday, March 18, 2007 at 5:40:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With 4 kids, I appreciate the alone time too! Glad you had a breather!

Sunday, March 18, 2007 at 9:00:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home