Saturday, October 06, 2007

Heat Wave

How in the world can it be 87 degrees in October?

Look! This is on my back porch, on the north side of the house, in the shade of a BIG apple tree.

Yesterday we set a record for high temps, and the weekend forecast is for temps to be near 90.

And what am I knitting and crocheting? An afghan and a wool sweater! Hello!? It's not summer anymore!! Guess what I did last night? I turned my AC back on!!! (But in October in northwest Ohio??) Then I curled up on the couch under the granny square afghan for Buddy Bill and stitched away. Here's a pic of the afghan in progress. All those leaves prove it really is October.

I survived my tests this week. Buddy Bill was a godsend on Thursday for the EMG. He offered to take me and I gladly accepted the offer. Wow, am I ever glad I did! First, there was a mixup on scheduling and I reported to the hospital where I requested the test, only to find out that the person who scheduled it booked me at a different test site. We schlepped back thru the maze of corridors so typical of hospitals to the parking garage and drove to another hospital. Once there, we waited to register all over again, and then wound our way thru another maze of corridors to the correct place. The EMG was pretty unpleasant, but not the worst thing I've ever been through. I did end up sleeping for an hour and a half afterward, though, I think mainly from the stress and frustration of the runaround, but maybe from being tasered for 30 minutes. I also have bruises at each needle insertion site. Buddy Bill took very good care of me all day afterward, getting me Starbucks, fixing soup and salad for lunch, propping me up on the loveseat with my book... A girl could get used to that kind of spoiling, you know?

Oh, back to my tests! Anyway, the EMG made the mammogram on Friday seem like nothing. Really. No big deal. If for some reason you are dreading it, the mammogram is over quickly and really isn't that uncomfortable. Just go do it. The longest part of the whole procedure was waiting for the technician to make sure she had clear images on the films afterward.

Know what else? My sock yarn is calling to me! I am just dying to start knitting socks again. My hands will probably not like it, and I am going to resist the call for a bit longer, but I have all of this gorgeous sock yarn stashed here and eleventy-billion sock patterns. I really want to knit socks! Maybe today I'll wind some yarn...

Labels: , ,


Anonymous Melissa said...

The afghan is looking great! And can you believe this heat?! Glad the tests went well! Can't wait to see some socks! ;)

Saturday, October 6, 2007 at 4:43:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous dirty sue said...

i turned on my ac too! crazy weather + hormones = one hot woman!

Saturday, October 6, 2007 at 8:52:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Did your hands ache after the EMG? I hope not. It's good that BB took care of you. He's a keeper. As for the heat? Not complaining. Ask me in January how I feel about the weather. I'm surprised socks bother you. They're easier on my hands than the weight of a sweater (or afghan).

Saturday, October 6, 2007 at 10:47:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Karen, I'm glad to hear that you survived the tests. Tasered is precisely the word. Gah! You're so fortunate to have a Buddy to look after you :o)

I'm seeing more crochet and thinking - maybe - of picking up my hooks again. I really like the afghan-in-progress.

Sunday, October 7, 2007 at 2:01:00 PM EDT  
Blogger the secret knitter said...

On one of the news cut-ins they said today's high reached 91. In October?!

Glad to hear you survived the tests. Thanks for sparing me the details of those procedures.

I think it's dumb that your principal won't let you knit, but no one said school administrators are rational.

Sunday, October 7, 2007 at 11:06:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous tiennie said...

90 degrees!? Wow - I'd just like a dry day here. Glad your tests went well!

Monday, October 8, 2007 at 2:07:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home