Sunday, September 30, 2007

Public Service Announcement

Get Checked!!

Today here in T-Town, it's Race For The Cure day. I can't participate because I'm heading out of town for a baby shower, but it holds even more meaning this year. This past week one of my sisters was diagnosed with breast cancer. A sibling. Cancer. We've had a hellacious week, but nothing compared to the week she's had. This insidious disease just keeps going; attacking at random and we all have to work together to find a cure. We all know someone who has had breast cancer, or know of someone. I've already lost someone who died right after reaching the 5-year survival mark of this damn disease.

So, dear friends and readers, do your monthly self-exams. Schedule a mammogram if you're nearing 40, or are over 40 and haven't had one for a while. Consider participating in an event affiliated with The Susan G. Komen Foundation.

Personally, I've found the Breast Cancer 3-Day to be an amazing experience if you are up to walking 60 miles, raising huge amounts of money and sleeping in tents overnight! ;-) Yes, I really have done it, and I'm crazy enough that I'm considering another one. There's a 3-Day in Cleveland in 2008.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger sarah lou said...

much love, lady, to you and your fam. i might just be crazy enough to look into that cleveland 3-day with you...

we'll talk soon. *hugs*

Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 9:36:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too wish you and your family love and strength. I'm here if you need to talk! XO!!

Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 10:41:00 AM EDT  
Blogger becky c. said...

So sorry Karen! If they caught it early, cure rates are really encouraging. Hugs!

Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 10:54:00 AM EDT  
Blogger KTMay said...

Oh man, Karen...wow. Positive thoughts, prayers and encouragement to each of you.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 11:12:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm sorry to hear about your sister, you're in my prayers! My parents are both running in race for the cure, our family has done it every year for years! :)

Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 11:40:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Jeanne said...

My prayers go out to your sister and your family. My Mother was a 50-year survivor of breast cancer back in the time when they didn't survive. But she did, by some miracle. God Bless you all.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 4:34:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing all the best to your sister and her family. I"m so sorry!

Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 11:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger the secret knitter said...

I'm sorry to hear that. All my best to you and your family during this time.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 11:59:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

All best wishes to you and your family, Karen. Would that it was not there at all, but here's hoping the cancer was caught early on.

Monday, October 1, 2007 at 10:11:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Oh wow...my thoughts and prayers go out to you, your sister, and your family. (hugs)

Monday, October 1, 2007 at 1:16:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home