Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Change

I am a creature of habit. For breakfast I like the same cereal. I drink the same coffee every day. My day has a certain order to it. Now, I wouldn't say I'm obsessive-compulsive, nor would my friends. I can certainly be spontaneous and flexible, but there are just some areas of my life that I like to stay the same. Like my job, for example.

Until this week, I had spent 17 years in seventh grade. I started out as a teacher, and then went back to school for a Master's degree in counseling. The past fourteen years I've been a counselor for seventh graders. I found out in May I would be moving to 8th grade, but not willingly.

I have to say that so far the change has been a pleasant surprise. The building is not totally unfamiliar to me. I started my counseling career in this district in this building, with seventh graders, before moving to another building for 10 years. The building I didn't want to leave. While introducing myself to the staff yesterday I joked that, "everything in education goes in circles, and in that tradition, I am back here where I started." Students and parents have been happy to see me. I had these kids last year. I can call them by name. They're giving me high-fives and hugs today.

Buddy B told me in the Spring, "Sometimes change is good. Keep an open mind about this. I think you will like your new building." Good thing I have smart friends, huh? I am casting on for Cobblestone tonight with Buddy B as the intended recipient; a gift for his support and encouragement. It's not a surprise. He chose the color (Cascade 220, Lichen) and has had to be measured for the sweater. I got gauge on the first try.

There are other changes taking place in my life as well. Happy changes. Exciting personal changes. Maybe life-altering changes. I'll keep you posted on that.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear that the change at work went better than expected. Hooray!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 at 1:06:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Here's a virtual high-five for you, Karen, as you navigate the new!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 at 1:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger becky c. said...

Yay Cobblestone!! Yay knitting night! Yay life-changes! And double-yay getting gauge!!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 at 1:41:00 PM EDT  
Blogger sarah lou said...

comfy is comfy. glad that you're making yourself at home over in your new digs. :) see you tonight! :D

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 at 2:00:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's working out better than you hoped. :)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 at 2:18:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad the move has been good thus far and glad ou have your kids to make things comfy!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 at 2:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth said...

All my work changes these days are stressful, not-enough-staff sort of changes. Virtual high-five for good ones for a... change. :)

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 at 4:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Dangit! I missed out on the news! (Errands ran over long.) Are you going to take a cue from me and play it all mysterious, or will you reveal early on? ;-) Congratulations either way! Can't wait to hear the news.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 at 9:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger g-girl said...

i'm glad to hear that the transition into your new position has been a good one so far. it helps that you already know the students, I'm sure.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 at 10:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Wendee said...

Cobblestone has certainly been a hit a the shop - Lichen will be beautiful!

Nice to hear the change was a good one. Yay!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 9:53:00 AM EDT  
Blogger KTMay said...

Change, especially welcomed change, is a beautiful thing!

Any high fiber diets in the future plans?

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 12:01:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad things are working out right for you! Can't wait to read what the changes are!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 2:47:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home