Saturday, July 28, 2007

A New Challenge

With the Victorian Lace socks having kicked my ass for a second time (I'm just not concentrating enough, and I'm not going to steal my kid's Adderall), I decided I needed a new challenge. I also needed knitting for the looooooong flight from Ohio to Arizona on Tuesday. As promised, here's info on what I will be taking with me!

First, the pattern: Swirl Socks. (Go look! I'll wait.) This pattern was created by Sulafaye for use with Cider Moon's Glacier weight yarn. I have plenty of that! The challenge comes in doing the socks toe-up. New trick for me, kids!

Using Judy's Magic Cast On and a lot of support from my dear Fiber Friend, Sarah Lou, I have gotten this far just this morning. The yarn is Rainbow Trout from the above-mentioned Cider Moon.

Yummy yarn!

I think I have to design a SuperHero shirt with "Fiber Friend" inside the logo just for Sarah!

What else am I taking to Phoenix in my carry on bag? I am taking another toe-up pattern from Wendy; this one using fingering weight yarn. I wound my "Blue Fields" from my Claudia collection jar.

Last but not least, I am taking a ball of Tatamy Tweed worsted to make a simple chemo cap to donate. The owners of my LYS, Yarn Haven, asked all of us that were at knit nite Tuesday to please consider making a chemo cap for donation during August. They are beseiged with requests for caps right now. Since there were more than 20 of us in attendance, that will surely help with the need. I figure a simple roll brim, stockinette cap won't take long at all. I just pulled a ball out of my stash. There are 16 balls waiting to transform into an afghan...


Today was my first time knitting in nearly 4 days. The rest time helped, I can tell. It was so good to knit again!! But, as my Buddy B said today, "Make sure you don't permanently injure that wrist to where you can't knit at all. You'll be horrible to live with!" I'm being very careful.

Right now I'm not sure if I will get to post once more before I leave Monday afternoon. At this moment I have to rescue poor Coco from Mayhem. She's gone and put pony tail holders on the dog's ears!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Oh, what pretty yarn! I love variegates. I'm glad your wrist feels better. One good thing about AZ—no puddles. ;-) Have a great time!

Saturday, July 28, 2007 at 5:21:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that t-shirt would be awesome for Sarah-Lou!! I love the Rainbow Trout yarn! ::drool!::

Saturday, July 28, 2007 at 9:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Yay for you! I keep hearing good things about Judy's Magic Cast On. If it has the toe-up mojo for one Karen, maybe it'll have the magic for two!

Saturday, July 28, 2007 at 9:39:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sulafaye's pattern is awesome - that's my main motivation for needing to learn how to do toe-up socks. I'm working on trying to finish up a pair of Saucy socks, and after that, the Swirl socks are next (well, I may start something easy, too, just so I can knit something when my brain stops hurting). Hope you have a blast in Arizona! Try not to get arrested! :)

Saturday, July 28, 2007 at 9:49:00 PM EDT  
Blogger sarah lou said...

hee hee hee. i second jacki's advice. and when i read your post before we headed out for the night. i audibly cooed when i read the line about the t-shirt for me. :D you're a pretty rockin' fiber friend, yourself! have so much fun!

Saturday, July 28, 2007 at 11:30:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Karen said...

Sheeesh! You all act like I make a habit of getting into trouble or somethin'! ;-) OK, just this one time in Cleveland...

Saturday, July 28, 2007 at 11:36:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sock pattern is gorgeous. I think the yarn you chose will really bring out the pattern. Have a safe trip!

Sunday, July 29, 2007 at 10:17:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have lots of fun in Arizona! Can't wait to see the rainbow trout all swirled up!

Monday, July 30, 2007 at 12:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Karen said...

That cider moon yarn is bee-yoo-tiful!

Monday, July 30, 2007 at 3:04:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, do be very careful! I love that cast-on!

Monday, July 30, 2007 at 4:41:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home