Friday, August 17, 2007

D-Day

D is for Doctor.

That's where I've been today. I had an appointment this morning to discuss the wrist pain that has been greatly interfering with my knitting time. My doctor feels that my symptoms are indicative of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. That isn't great news, but it didn't surprise me. I have a treatment plan for the next month that includes a combination of meds, lovely (note of sarcasm) wrist splints that are 8" tall and reduced knitting. My knitting has already been reduced!

The splints have to be worn nightly while sleeping, while using the computer, and while knitting. Wisely, my doc did not say "no knitting at all." He knows that I used knitting to replace eating while stressed. Neither of us want me to put back 70 lbs. that have been lost!

We'll decide in a month if further tests (like an EMG) are necessary or if the current treatment will continue. Surgery may be in my future, but for now, I'll stick with this treatment plan and not even think about that! The things I tried on my own before seeing the doc were all the right things to do, and the doc appreciated the time I took to use a common-sense approach. It saved us both time in the long run.

In knitting news, my swirl sock is at the point of starting the gussett, and my Log Cabin afghan has been brought out of hiding. I will still knit, you know. Socks may have to take a hiatus as I'm finding little needles harder to manage with the numbness in my fingers. I am looking at yarn options to make Cobblestone for Buddy B... leaning toward Cascade 220 superwash. Can someone help me get him moving on choosing a color?! I jokingly threatened to drag him into Yarn Haven with me if he doesn't help out, but since he often shows interest in what I'm making, it really wouldn't be a punishment, and the shop wouldn't intimidate him.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Just in case it does come to surgery, I have heard people say the relief is amazing and they always wish they hadn't put it off. I hope you are pain-free soon!

Friday, August 17, 2007 at 4:53:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:( Glad you went, glad there was a "solution". ope everything works out super fast and you're back on track soon!

Friday, August 17, 2007 at 9:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Bummer about the CTS. I have good news about it, though. I was diagnosed with it in 1996 and for about 2-3 months, I was immobile (hand-wise). I thought my days of playing guitar, knitting, and other hands-on activities were over. They weren't. Once I got through the initial diagnosis and treatment, I took better care of myself. I don't have as many flareups and I can knit and play guitar again. I can't pull all-nighters like I used to, but it got better. Hoping you heal quickly.

Friday, August 17, 2007 at 11:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

That sucks about the Carpel Tunnel... really really sucks. I hope that it gets better for you soon!

I've been stalking that cobblestone pattern, too. I think I may have to make it this fall... i was thinking perhaps one of the new superwash heathers from knitpicks... Can't wait to see what yarn you choose!

Saturday, August 18, 2007 at 9:47:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Jennifer said...

sorry to hear abut the cts...i hope the treatment helps and make sure you don't overdo it on the knitting...sounds from the other comments that if you take care of yourself, you might be able to control it w/o surgery.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 8:40:00 AM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

At least you have confirmation and a conservative plan of action. I'm sure your doctor discussed other therapeutic options as well - all toward the result of a much more pain-free Karen!

Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 9:26:00 AM EDT  
Blogger g-girl said...

oh you poor dear. sorry to hear about the cts diagnosis. :( hmm...how about magic loop?

Monday, August 20, 2007 at 8:11:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home