Saturday, November 24, 2007

First Thanksgiving For The Boy Named Sue

Thanksiving held a big surprise for my family.

It's required that my siblings and I be at Mom and Dad's for Thanksgiving; the five of us don't even question our presence. The grown children of my older siblings often have other commitments, however - work, family, military. Two weeks ago, my nephew and his wife had their first baby, and none of us have seen Baby AJ except in pictures. Andy and Rebecca live several hours away and don't normally celebrate Thanksgiving with my side of the family. That was the surprise! They pulled into the driveway with the baby and everyone went wild! (that's the house where I grew up - where I've celebrated every Thanksgiving and every Christmas of my entire life.)

How memorable it was to see my dad all teary-eyed at having another great-granchild under his roof; number four for him and mom. We had great fun hearing first hand the story of the arrival of "Maggie" who turned out to be Andy Junior. New momma Rebecca was so good about letting all the doting Aunties and Great-Aunties hold the baby.


After dinner I sat at the table with my knitting. My oldest sister was crocheting a baby blanket for her new grandson. My nephew Nicholas asked me to teach him to knit sometime soon. That will be fun! Another knitter in the family is always a good thing.

Then I loaded up the car and drove 2 hrs. back to spend the rest of Thanksgiving with Buddy Bill. We built a fire and watched Grey's Anatomy together. He and I have spent a great deal of time lately discussing what we have to be thankful for. The short version: The most important things in life aren't things.

How is your holiday knitting coming along? I don't mean to scare you, but have you checked the calendar?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what holiday??? what knitting?????

Sunday, November 25, 2007 at 11:31:00 PM EST  
Blogger becky c. said...

What a nice Thanksgiving you had!

Monday, November 26, 2007 at 8:43:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet baby! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving with your family!

Monday, November 26, 2007 at 9:13:00 PM EST  
Blogger the secret knitter said...

Yes, I've checked the calendar. Freak out time will commence shortly.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 12:08:00 AM EST  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

I like what the secret knitter said: Freak out will commence shortly!

By the way, what a sweet babe.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 3:23:00 PM EST  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Aaaaawh!!! He's so cute! How fun that they surprised you.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 9:21:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home