Sunday, February 08, 2009

Where Does The White Go When The Snow Melts?

Haven't you ever wondered that? Snow is white, and then it's gone. Where does the white go?
The temps have been in the mid-40's the last three days in a row now, and that means the 30.7" of snow that dumped on us in January is rapidly disappearing, prompting my silly question. I would love an answer, if anyone has one.

This morning I heard birds chirping in the crabapple trees outside my bedroom window and I (honest, I swear!) saw robins at the park today while Bill and I were there. Thanks to the newly bare ground, we also saw 15 or more deer on the move, happily grazing on whatever the melting snow revealed.


Ice floes were moving down Swan Creek and fortunately, no ice fishermen were stranded on these little pieces of ice. (This story was carried on the national news and also on The BBC.)

Patches of bare ground were visible today, and the sun was warm. I couldn't resist taking a picture of the little red schoolhouse at Wildwood Metropark. Even school looked cheery today. (Did I say that?!)

And look! More knitting! Growing tired of some drink coaster's at Bill's that don't absorb anything, I decided to stash dive and use up some aran weight wool that was just sitting around. I used size 11 needles, cast on 20 stitches, and knit 32 rows of garter stitch.

The coaster that is all orange is for on B's computer desk.

They're bright and cheery. Even better, they're absorbent and pretty much indestructible. Bill loves them because they are simple and practical. Oh, and he loves them because I made them just for him.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I'm not quite ready for winter to end, it's wonderful to see signs of Spring!

Monday, February 9, 2009 at 2:07:00 AM EST  
Blogger becky c. said...

I like the random stripes of color. Good idea!

Monday, February 9, 2009 at 7:13:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea. Maybe I'll make mom one for her birthday.

*hee, the word verification thing spells "cloned"

Monday, February 9, 2009 at 10:13:00 AM EST  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

I love the pictures of the creek and the little red schoolhouse. It's melting here in Chicago too, except I don't have anything nearly so picturesque.

Monday, February 9, 2009 at 11:50:00 AM EST  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

There was an article on the ice fisherman that were stranded on the Cleveland local news last night - and they used some of my dad's pictures for the story! He was out there on Friday... just outside of Port Clinton... fortunately he wasn't silly enough to try to go out on Sat, though!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 at 11:43:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home