Friday, December 15, 2006

Giving and Challenges

If you haven't stopped by to see The Yarn Harlot lately, check her out. She's issued a challenge for everyone reading her blog to dig into their pockets and send some money to Doctors Without Borders. Pretend you have just had one more person added to your family and you have to come up with a way to buy that person a gift. Adjust your budget, and send that as a gift to DWB. I already did. I cheated a little bit. I took the money that was sent to me as compensation for the chemo caps I knitted (unexpected compensation) and then added some additional money to my donation. Remember that here in North America so many of us die as a result of our excessive lifestyle, while others in the world die because they lack the basic vaccines we take for granted. I'm just sayin'.

And while I'm on the subject of giving, think about dropping a couple of toys in the collection boxes for Toys for Tots. Mayhem, Absent-Minded Professor, and I have already done that this year as well. We all have problems, but there's always someone worse off than ourselves. Spread some peace and joy!

I'm considering another challenge as well. A yarn stash challenge. Now, my yarn stash is not nearly as great as that of other, more experienced knitters, but it is growing. Wendy, just today, posted guidelines for knitting from stash only starting January 1, 2007 and lasting thru September. There are some exceptions, such as allowing the purchase of yarn if the item to be knitted is going to be given as a gift. That part won't be hard for me; nearly everything I knit is a gift for someone else. But I do have yarn to be knitted that has been hanging around for a while. This will be good. I haven't totally signed on yet, but I'm seriously considering joining the Knit-From-Your-Stash-A-Long. Sock yarn is allowed too. Maybe then I'll finally learn to knit socks!

One more thing. If you know someone who is more blue than usual, call and check on that person. Take him or her to lunch. Stop and visit for a while. This time of year can be very difficult for people with depression and other mental illnesses. I know, I know, you're busy. Your little bit of time will mean more than you may ever know. Trust me.

~Peace~

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Thank you for those good reminders. We have so much; it's easy to get caught up in the 'having,' and not in the 'sharing.'

Friday, December 15, 2006 at 12:00:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love DWB; donate there often, and will this year too. Thanks for the reminder, and I'm glad to hear how others support them. Now, to find a toys for tots collection site!

Monday, December 18, 2006 at 8:43:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home