Monday, March 19, 2007

Socks

I think I'm finally getting the hang of knitting with these toothpicks. I've turned the heel of my first big people sock, my Wild Thing (the name of the yarn, not the pattern) sock. To celebrate, I ordered some sock yarn from Cider Moon, a small Central Ohio yarn dyer. Having grown up in Central Ohio, I still have a fondness for the area. Their yarn can also be found at The Loopy Ewe. Send them some support!

I also decided to join two sock KAL's. Might as well keep me moving on the socks! I joined The Sensational Knitted Socks KAL and Interweave's Favorite Socks KAL. I have the books, and I'm starting to knit socks. Belonging to a group will help keep me moving and provide me with help and support along the way.

My Dad expressed an interest in receiving some handknitted socks and I can't think of a better way to thank him for all the great things he's done over the years than giving him a pair of socks to wear in the Birks that seem to always be on his feet. He has inside Birks and outside Birks and just swaps them as he goes in and out of the house, kind of like Mr. Rogers swapped his loafers for sneakers when he came and went. (Just in case you didn't know, all those cardigans Fred Rogers wore? Those were handmade by his mother. Knitted, of course.) I guess I know where my love for Birkenstocks comes from. I think I have 5 pair right now. And yes, like my dad, I wear them in the house with socks in the winter.

Must be a German thing.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home