Monday, October 08, 2007

Mail and Simple Pleasures

Normally checking my mailbox at school is not much fun. It typically means more work in the way of paperwork to complete, referrals from teachers and administrators, messages from parents to return, junk mail to sort through. The other day a turquoise-colored envelope caught my eye though, and immediately I recognized the handwriting on the front. Buddy Bill had sent me mail at school! (You can all say "awwwwwwwww" now.) Inside was a card with two Labs snuggled up together in a chair, one yellow and one dark, just like my Labs.


(Greeting card from Avanti Press)
The card contained some silly, mushy sentiment which made me grin. It's still here on my desk, making me grin. Knowing he's not one to buy greeting cards makes it even more special.

Simple things bring me great pleasure. Sitting outside enjoying a quiet afternoon, with a book or my knitting, brings me great pleasure. Really. As the mom of two active kids, two dogs, and being someone who works full time and tries to keep up with all that and keep a house... well, quiet time to just sit and knit for an extended amount of time is rare.

Receiving a card in the mail from someone special, just because, brings me great pleasure. Just thinking of you, no special occasion. It's normal to get cards for birthdays, and around the holidays, if you've been sick, or going through a tough time. A card out of the blue for no special reason is always fun for me.

Taking a walk in the park, particularly now, as the leaves are changing, is also a great pleasure. (OK, not so much when it's 92 degrees, but when it's typical October weather!) We are fortunate to have an incredible Metroparks system here, full of beautiful wooded walking trails and nature centers. You forget you're in a city when deer cross the path fifteen feet in front of you.



An evening in front of the fire with a good book, a glass of wine and the dogs brings me great pleasure. My dogs don't know they are dogs, so it's typical for one or both of them to get up on the couch once they think I'm not looking. Bruno will usually wait for an invitation, but Coco pretty much owns the spot at the end. Add in some good company to share the wine and it gets even better!



Knitting, which has been around for centuries, brings me so much pleasure, as does creating knitted items for others. I started knitting as therapy for myself - to not snack in front of the TV, and to keep my mind off other troubles - yet nearly everything I make goes to someone else. I love the joy in the recipients' faces.



Do I like nice things? Do I like to go nice places? Yes, and yes. I'm finding more and more, however, that they are not so important. I get much more pleasure from simpler things, and certainly many more treasured memories.

Now someone please, please, please, send some cool weather!!! It's almost 90 degress again today. That does not make for good days in a junior high. P.U.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How very sweet! I'm with you - the simple things in life....ahhh...!

Monday, October 8, 2007 at 4:46:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth said...

Our weatherdudes here claim tomorrow will be cooler. We'll see...

Monday, October 8, 2007 at 7:12:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay...I totally said, "awwwwwww." I like BB! He's just so thoughtful! In any case...you seem so happy...how cool for you!

Monday, October 8, 2007 at 7:13:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a romantic - I'm blessed to also be married to one. Wine and dogs - staples in our home.

Monday, October 8, 2007 at 7:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I think you're gonna get your cool-weather wish—the weather blurb at the bottom of my browser shows 59 and rainy for Weds for these here parts.

As for the card,
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Me, I get all turned on just to drive in and find the garbage and recycling have been taken out (without prompting) AND dinner is on the stove. Melllllttttt.

Monday, October 8, 2007 at 7:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kristin said...

awww you're making me miss wildwood!!!!

Monday, October 8, 2007 at 9:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger the secret knitter said...

Today cool enough for you?

A very nice post. There's a lot of truth there.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 5:53:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home