Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What You've Been Waiting For... and My New Toy

I was waiting for something special, and some of you have been waiting to see who won my blog contest.

First, Melissa and Kelli were the entrants in my little contest, and I love them both for playing along! Using my random method of drawing (my darling daughter, Mayhem), it has been determined that Melissa won the prize!! What did she win? This lovely sock yarn and little drawstring bag. It is hand-dyed, from Neighborhood Fiber Co. and was part of the Tour of D.C. Sock Club this past winter. Melissa, make sure you email your address to me.


What was I waiting for while you waited to hear who won? I was waiting on my new toy. For some time, I have had the desire to learn to spin. Much time was spent lurking on the Used Equipment and Tools board at Ravelry, along with the Spinner's Marketplace, watching for a spinning wheel with a good price. Finally, a deal I couldn't pass up came my way, and I entered negotiations with a fellow Raveler. My wheel arrived late last week! I am now the proud owner of a Louet Victoria.



This wheel was considered "used" but was still new in the box and had everything that a brand new wheel has when purchased. The only thing that was different was the price! Yay me! The only problem was that my only spinning experience was a little bit of time with a drop spindle. Once I knew for sure the wheel was indeed mine, I called a friend who spins.

Saturday I spent a good part of the day with Becky at Yarn Cravin' trying to learn to spin. You can read her account of the experience if you click on her name. Becky was quite the lively instructor and we gave the owners, Bobbie and Dale Ann so much entertainment! They were so good to us, letting us take over the front room of the shop. Honestly, we were better than a sitcom. At one point, Becky was on the floor sprawled out in exasperation!



Having spent some time practicing, and having adjusted the tension (I get too much twist!) I can say I am getting more proficient and more coordinated. One bobbin full...

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously?! OHMYGOD! I never win, anything!!! WOOT! YAY!!! :)

Love the wheel and the flowers and your first bobbin! I am so proud! XO

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 at 11:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth said...

I think it looks great - you're off and spinning! (better than off and running, you've gotta admit)

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 8:12:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your new toy Karen. I wonder if LRB finds time to use hers?

Here I was wondering how I missed the contest but then I see that I was supposed to take pictures which I never do since hubby is the photographer in the family.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 8:46:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yockey,
You have a whole secret life besides the secret lives I already know about. Scary.
S

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 9:55:00 AM EDT  
Blogger The Gadabout Knitter said...

Yay for new toys and first bobbins full! :) Welcome to the dark side!!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 11:40:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! Major congrats on Victoria and the new spinning... I think you should nickname her 'Posh.' :) Can't wait to see the handspun you make!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 1:10:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wheel is cool!

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 1:49:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Oh no! I missed your contest! I so meant to participate... things have been pretty crazy around here lately... oh well.

Love your new toy!! Spinning is so fun.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 11:05:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home