Monday, July 21, 2008

You Spin Me Right Round Baby

Look! I made yarn!This is my very first yarn. I spun two singles, and then plied them together, all by myself, using Posh, which is what I have nicknamed my Louet Victoria wheel. The name was suggested by my friend Jacki who is a genius at dyeing yarns and fibers. (Remember Cider Moon? That Jacki!)

It's not the most even yarn you've ever seen. It's definitely bulky yarn. There are places where I still have way too much twist. That being said, I still love it. Seriously.

You know how when babies are born sometimes their faces are smooshed and their heads are shaped funny from being born? Being born is hard work and babies don't always come out looking all angelic and beautiful, except to their mommas. That's how this yarn is for me. It was hard work giving this yarn life, and I love it the way a new mom loves that smooshed, wrinkly, red baby. Just as babies change almost before your eyes, I could see my singles improve from Saturday to Sunday and then Tuesday. When I finished spinning the yarn on the following Sunday and plied it, I could see a big improvement; a transformation. That "newborn" look was going away already.

I treasure my first yarn, and I don't know yet if I will ever knit with that two-ply, or just bring it out to show people what my yarns looked like when they were babies.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! Looks great!

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 7:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth said...

I think it looks great - and I'd know - my first yarn looked like crap. :)

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 7:14:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on your 1st yarn!

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 7:30:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it - it looks great!

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 8:26:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it ZKaren. You and I have similar taste in colors.

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 8:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Keep the "baby pictures." I think it's wonderful. And it's your first.

Monday, July 21, 2008 at 10:47:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Your first yarn is beautiful! I have my first yarn (it's much, much uglier than yours is. really.) hanging on the wall of my studio. It's nice "artwork" and a good reminder of how far I've come.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 11:08:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

The yarn is beautiful and looks squishy! And Posh still makes me giggle. :)

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 at 6:18:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ITs soo pretty. I love it.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 1:04:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home