Thursday, August 14, 2008

UFOlympics

If you're on Ravelry, you probably know all about the Ravelympics. I decided NOT to compete, because I have so many UFO's (unfinished objects). Instead, I joined the UFOlympics; an event in which one chooses one or more incomplete knitting projects and declares them as Olympic events. Basically, you pledge to complete them during the Olympic Games, starting at the opening and stopping your knitting when the torch is extinguished.

I entered just one single project/event.

Nearly a year ago, I started knitting a Cobblestone Sweater for Buddy Bill. Jared Flood's design is fabulous! Why, exactly, this wonderful sweater was set aside, I can't say for sure. I know at one point holiday knitting took over. Then College Kid's striped socks came along. Anyway, Bill's sweater will hopefully be completed, or be close to completion, by the end of the Summer Games. I vow that Bill will have his green sweater to wear this fall and winter!

Prior to the start of the Games, I had knit the body up to the armpits, and just cast on for one sleeve. Since the Games started, I have completed that sleeve up to the point where one stops to join it to the body. I am currently knitting the second sleeve.

Once the second sleeve is complete - tonight or tomorrow - I will join them to the body and begin knitting the yoke of the sweater. The yoke is garter stitch, like the cuffs and side panels. Wish me luck. I know the Olympic athletes are working harder than I am, and while my payoff won't be a gold medal, it will still be pretty darn satisfying.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that sweater! I'll have to knit one for Sean. Off to your project page for the details! :)

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 1:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger the secret knitter said...

If I start now, maybe I could have a sweater done by the next Summer Games. :)

Good luck with the UFO.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 1:29:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks great! This sweater was my UFOlympics knitting as well - I had finished the body and one sleeve before I put it away earlier this year ...but unfortunately, I haven't started my UFOlympic knitting - I started a new project. Maybe seeing you knit yours will motivate me to finish mine!

Friday, August 15, 2008 at 12:16:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yarn is so beautiful that you chose for the cobblestone!

Friday, August 15, 2008 at 11:18:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KISSES

Buddy Bill

Saturday, August 16, 2008 at 10:42:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home