Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Musings

Tomorrow is October already. Can you believe it? I know I can't. I certainly don't mind, though, since Autumn is my favorite time of year. The cooler temps have been taking their time getting here to Ohio, arriving just today. I love sweater weather, and have been looking forward to getting out my sweaters and sweatshirts and handknit socks.

Adjusting to my new my work schedule is taking me longer than I thought it would. The earlier mornings are tough for me, for some reason. My days are busy, which is a good thing. So far I haven't messed anything up in a big way, and I am keeping my head above water. Everyday I learn something new. Working in a counseling center with five other counselors and 3 secretaries means I have plenty of people to go to with my questions. Believe me, I have plenty of those! At lease I'm not bugging the same person all the time.

Something that has been really impressive to me is the way two of my student office workers (seniors) have taken a student with special needs under their wings. During one class period, a student with Down Syndrome, whom I've known since she was in 7th grade, comes to work in our office as part of her vocational training. Our senior students have befriended her and are treating her like any other kid. I love it! The district where I work has spent years practicing inclusion - an educational practice where students with disabilities are included in regular education and the special help comes to them. Seeing these three students interact daily is such a bright spot in my day. I shouldn't be so surprised since our special needs kids have been in the classrooms with typical kids for many years now... still, it's nice that they aren't ignoring her, or babying her.

The downside to the busy, busy days is that I have no knitting time at work. I don't even get to knit at lunch, because many days I don't even take lunch! Often my lunch consists of an apple at my desk while I return phone calls with my door closed.

I am knitting at home, though. Right now I'm finishing a pair of socks (from January! eek!). I'm continuing with the log cabin afghan. Eventually it will be bed-sized, but there's no deadline for that big blanket. Even with 4 or 5 pairs of socks on the needles, I desperately want to cast on for the February Lady Sweater. I have the yarn, but think I should finish a couple other things... maybe... sort of...


My latest Etsy treasure is something I must share with all of you! Uli makes the most wonderful chain maille bracelets. The bracelets made of stainless steel are lightweight, durable, very affordable, and great for daily wear. I own more than one, I must admit. She's also a knitter, and fellow Raveler. Check out her shop Creations by Uli! Tell her I sent you.


Thanks for the good wishes for my Absent-Minded Professor and his broken foot. He is mending quickly and didn't need a cast. My darling daughter Mayhem is being tested for Gifted services through school. I'm guessing she will be borderline, but she really does want to qualify.



Buddy Bill and I are planning the Washington, DC trip for the seventh graders again. Tomorrow the kids all get their information for the trip in June, start begging their parents and making financial arrangements. It's funny to me when I think that my own son is in this class! We have also been asked to arrange a trip for the 8th graders. That one is still in the planning stages and would occur right after the Washington trip - either New York City or Boston. June will be busy!

One last thing... A photo of some secret knitting. All will be revealed in time. My portion is finished, though.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at you boasting with your secret knitting. BAH! I need to hurry up!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 1:31:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your secret knitting looks great!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 2:28:00 PM EDT  
Blogger The Gadabout Knitter said...

You know you want to cast on the FLS!! It's calling your name!! :)

What yarn is your secret knitting using? It sorta looks like Wisterious from Dream in Color (whatever it is it's a gorgeous color!)

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 2:50:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Karen said...

The yarn is one of Plymouth Encore's shades of purple.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 4:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger the secret knitter said...

Did someone say secret knitting?

Thursday, October 2, 2008 at 11:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Busy, but in a good way it seems. Best of luck to you as you grow and change professionally. Hopefully, your son will be back to his old self very soon.

Saturday, October 4, 2008 at 4:41:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home