Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Playing Catch Up

Last week, just before I was supposed to leave for A Wool Gathering and Parents' Weekend at Wittenberg, my darling son had a small mishap. Absent-Minded Professor fell and broke his left foot! It happened Thursday evening and Friday was spent going to doctors and getting x-rays and getting fitted for crutches. The break is small and we're 90% sure that he won't need a cast on his foot at this point. I was worried Thursday night about my weekend plans, though!

Saturday morning dawned clear and beautiful. Bill and I set out early for Yellow Springs/Springfield. We knew the drive would take 2.5 to 3 hours, and we timed it so that we arrived just after the gates to A Wool Gathering opened. My first stop was Booth 85 where Dianne of Creatively Dyed fame had set up shop. All I can say is yum, yum, yum! I bought fiber, and yarn and on Sunday went back and bought more yarn! Dianne is fun and cheerful and she also had Ravelry buttons!

Creatively Dyed roving

Wool Gathering was loaded with sights and sounds and textures. We saw sheep, alpacas, and so many different types of fibers and people. There were people spinning and weaving and knitting and eating ice cream (yum!). Bill happily schlepped all my purchases.


These guys have the sweetest faces and are so gentle. Meh!

This guy was shearing sheep, and has won competetions all over the country. Now his sons compete against him.



This man and his dogs demonstrated herding. The dog usually herds sheep, but was OK with making the ducks do what she wanted.


After leaving Yellow Springs, we had a short drive up the road to Springfield and found our hotel. It was only a few miles away from College Kid's "mansion" that he is renting with four other friends. For Parents' Weekend the boys were having a cookout, and it was my chance to check out the "Animal House." Really, the place wasn't too bad, and it's only a block away from campus. In it's day, the house was probably amazing - an Arts and Crafts style home with great woodwork, fantastic wood floors, big bathrooms, a butler's bedroom and back stairway to the kitchen. The evening was fun, and we had the chance to eat, drink and be merry with the boys and their parents. They invited some sorority friends over and other guys with their parents. Fun.

And one last bit of fun for you...

Are you sure you're going the right way dear? That sign says you should go...


(That is known around here as a "Bill joke" I put it in just for you, Luv! xoxoxo)

I will have to show you my purchases later!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger The Gadabout Knitter said...

Looks and sounds like a blast! And that fiber? YUM!!!!

I wonder how many times that street sign has been stolen... I know quite a few people who would love to have a similar sign!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 10:59:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, looks like fun. Sorry about the kid's foot.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 1:38:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like Bill and I have the same (horrible) sense of humor. Maybe CK and I were switched at birth?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 6:56:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Looks like fun! Btw if I had a bigger yard than my little lot I would totally want an alpaca.

Friday, September 26, 2008 at 2:36:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute sign. I hope your son is doing OK!

Monday, September 29, 2008 at 7:04:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home