Monday, February 23, 2009

This Too Shall Pass

Last Friday I had a birthday. I only mention it, because it was such a mixture of happiness and trauma, and I learned a lot of things, that I want to share.

Turning 42 is nothing. Piece of cake. Just a number.

Losing a friend who is just your age, on your birthday, is tough. Tracy Pleva Hill was one of the most amazing women I ever knew. She and I nursed our babies at the same time, and she just lost an 8+ year battle with breast cancer. Here's a photo of us a few years ago in NYC - Tracy on the left, and me on the far right. Tracy reminded her friends to drive with the windows open, to live every day to the fullest and made the f-ing cancer fight for every inch it took. She was a warrior!


Having true-blue friends that get you knitting books, yummy lotion, and birthday cake to celebrate with after work can help you feel so much better.

Daffodils sent to you at work by a dear friend who lives in another state help also. (I love you, Evil Twin!)

Getting rear-ended in Friday traffic and having your car smashed front and back, with one of your kids in the car, is terrifying. Again, I am lucky. I was able to call my son and tell him we would be late, but we were fine. Even my car had minimal damage compared to the guy who hit me. (BTW, the Ford Freestyle is a tank. I highly recommend it!) I will still be without my car at some point, since both the front and rear bumpers will need to be completely replaced. The muscle soreness and pain I still have are a great reminder of the importance of seat belts and that they do work. Mayhem, who was safely buckled up in the back seat, was scared, but has no pain at all today.

I also learned, over this birthday, that Bill is an amazing secret keeper and brilliant gift giver. Once again, the gift he procured for my birthday surprised me, was something I wanted, and took my breath away! (It wasn't even jewelry.) So what is this amazing gift?


(image from bestbuy.com)
Yep, a new camera lens!!! A ZOOM lens for my digital camera. The one I've been lusting after. The kicker is that he's had it since Christmas, just waiting to give to me. Me? I wouldn't have been able to wait. When I have gifts that special, I give them. So kudos to you, Luv, on your patience and master gift giving. (And the torture factor added in by giving me the lens when I didn't have my camera with me? Nice one.) My birthday gift also included a bottle of wine from here. The image on the right of that webpage is on the bottle label. Leave it to my beloved Bill to find wine related to my fiber addiction!

The day was full of contradictions. Even though my friend finished her time here on Earth with us, I had a very physical, tangible reminder that my time isn't done. Wear your seatbelts. Tell the people you love that you love them every day. Put your kids in the backseat even if they beg to be up front. Go get your mammogram.

Drive with the windows open.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Wow. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Happy Belated Birthday. (You're younger than I am? How is that? I always feel 25...)

Yeouch on the car.

If the snow ever melts, I'll see you at Knit Night.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 8:28:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been fortunate with my Olds Silhouette. No serious injuries.

Happy Birthday! Good for Bill too.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 11:40:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy happy birthday! Enjoy that awesome gift.

I am so sorry about your friend.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 12:36:00 AM EST  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Wow. Life is full of highs and lows and those damned contradictions.

First, Happy (belated) Birthday! I'm glad that your buddies made it special for you, despite the rough start.

Secondly, I am sorry about your friend. I like her advice: drive with the windows down!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 9:39:00 AM EST  
Blogger Gina said...

Wow, what a birthday. There were many blessings given in the midst of the trauma and sadness. Your a very special person and I wish you much happiness during the coming year.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 10:49:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. And happy belated birthday.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 6:43:00 PM EST  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Happy birthday! That's a pretty great gift.

and I am so sorry for your loss.

Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 11:57:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home