Thursday, April 30, 2009

Escape from Reality

Sometimes it's good to run away from everything. That's what I did last weekend. The Insanknitty Retreat was the perfect escape from the reality that is my life - medical tests, kids crazy schedules, refinancing, etc.

An overnight knit-fest with 40+ knitters, many of whom are dear friends, was just what the doctor ordered. We holed up at Widewater Retreat Center from 9:00AM Saturday until 5:00PM Sunday. I ate too much, had a fabulous massage, knitted as much as I wanted, sat in the sun...
There were eight people assigned to my room, including me, not that we did much sleeping! That full room was by choice, because we knew we would be up late being silly. I think we went to bed around 2:10AM, and finally fell asleep around 3:00AM. Much knitting and spinning was accomplished, though. Even more laughter was accomplished, and at times we laughed until we cried. Picture a big slumber party with your closest friends, away from home. Add in knitting and silliness... like Jello wrestling.

And musical entertainment.
I had time to spin... here I am pre-drafting some fiber.


We had some basic spinning lessons with drop spindles.



My friends in attendance weren't just local friends. Becca and Kristy and Beth came in from Chicago. Cary drove up from Tennessee. I love your faces!
Who could be stressed with beauty like this to see all weekend?

The retreat was well-organized and loosely structured enough to be relaxing. I missed my kids, but the time away with my knitter friends to re-charge my batteries was so worth it! Bill deserves a special thank you for the camp chair with attached foot-rest. It was so comfy all weekend for knitting, sitting outside and relaxing... my pregnant friend Heather also appreciated it! Thanks so much for another considerate gift, Luv.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It really looks like a great weekend. I'm glad you had a good time!

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 10:36:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, many thanks to Bill for the awesome chair choice!!! :)
~heather

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 8:40:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

That looks like an awesome weekend! I can see how it would be really nice to be away... good luck with the migraines. Those are seriously the worst.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 9:08:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

I thought I recognized some of those faces from your Chicago visit! Ah, de-stressing in an environment like that is *exactly* what the doctor ordered, K.

Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 5:39:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home