Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Musings

"Really, all you need to become a good knitter are wool, needles, hands, and slightly below-average intelligence. Of course, superior intelligence, such as yours and mine, is an advantage." ~Elizabeth Zimmerman


Being fairly new to the art of knitting, I still find myself lacking in confidence when it comes to trying new techniques. I haven't tried knitting cables. Nor have I made a sock, much less a matching pair. Lace hasn't made it into the picture yet.

Still, the completed items I've managed to turn out have elicited compliments from the recipients, and from others who have seen those finished works. Shouldn't this be a confidence booster? What's stopping me from plunging in and immersing myself in a more challenging project? I know part of it is the gratification that comes from an easy, quickly finished, item. Nonetheless, I find myself looking with envy upon the hand-knitted sweaters and socks others have completed.

When I came across the Elizabeth Zimmerman quote today, it spoke to me. Lord knows I have plenty of wool and needles. Just ask anyone who has ventured into my (small) house lately and seen my Longaberger baskets full of yarn! As far as the intelligence goes, I would consider myself to have an advantage. I can read and follow a pattern, mostly. My knitting resource library has grown, so I have an expanding wealth of knowledge at my fingertips at home. I know other knitters, online and in real life, if I should happen to get stuck.

Honestly the worst thing that could happen is that I have to frog the project (rip-it, rip-it!) and start over, right? Mayhem and Absent-Minded Professor distract me, and interrupt me, so I might (will!) have to re-count my stitches, or stay up late knitting once they are asleep. I do that anyway. Sleep often eludes me. That's part of why I knit.

It's time, past time, to choose something more challenging to work on. Oh, don't worry. I don't anticipate making up my mind anytime soon.

And then there's always the wool to decide upon.

And the needles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home