Monday, June 04, 2007

Countdowns and Downpours

Five more days until Knitters Connection in Columbus!

Six more days of school left.

10 days until I board the buses to take 87 seventh graders to Gettysburg and Washington, D.C. with Buddy B and some wonderfully brave parent chaperones.


Two weeks left in my building where I have worked for the past 14 years with seventh graders. My supervisor has decided that it would be better if I looped with the current group of students along to 8th grade in another building. That means packing up my office and moving buildings. Unwillingly. I was notified by email with 12 days of school left.


Along with the downpours of showers that have come without warning the past three days, there have been downpours of unexpected tears. Some have been mine. Other tears have come from staff members that have worked with me and confided in me and grown to trust me over the years. When you stay willingly in a junior high for as many years as we have together, you become family. At random moments during the day, someone will stop by and say, "Is it true? Are you really going to the other building?" One look at the boxes stacking up in the corner confirms it.


In the past, when I was under stress, I used to do two things. I would shop, and I would eat. Since I learned to knit three yrs ago, the eating lessened and I've lost nearly 70 lbs. A health problem forced the issue for me, but I don't sit in front of the TV and snack anymore, and I'm much healthier. I still shop (but not with a credit card). I replaced eating with knitting. Most of what I knit, I give away, so I don't mind spending on yarn.

The past few days I've been knitting like crazy. The log cabin is growing enough that I ordered the 30" and 40" cords for my Denise Interchangeable needles in order to keep up with its growth. Banana Cabana sock #1 is nearly done and sock #2 will be cast on before heading to Knitters Connection on Saturday with Sarah.


Besides the cords for my needle set what is new?


Starting at the top left, there is Lorna's Laces in Flamingo (sock) and Daffodil (sport). Top Right you'll see new Cider Moon colors Rainbow Trout and Barnwood, both in the glacier weight. At the bottom are Claudia Handpaint yarns in Butter Pecan (my favorite ice cream) and Blue Fields (chosen because it seemed so peaceful).


The Claudia colors up close.

A closeup of Rainbow Trout and Barnwood.

If nothing else comes out of this stressful time and big move, a whole lotta knitting will! In the meantime, I'm trying to remember to count my blessings and search for the silver lining in all of this.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't knitting the best theapy - albeit not much cheaper ;)

Monday, June 4, 2007 at 9:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Change is often bittersweet. I have confidence that you (and your tremendous knitting) will go on to thrive in the new environment.

Monday, June 4, 2007 at 9:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger becky c. said...

The fact that you are about to ride on a bus to D.C. with 6th graders and you can still look on the bright side says a lot about you!! Enjoy your beautiful yarn and may there be many peaceful miles of knitting.

Monday, June 4, 2007 at 11:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger miss ewe said...

That is some NICE yarn. (drool)

Monday, June 4, 2007 at 11:27:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth said...

Lots of change and suckiness at work for me too. I often wonder what the hell goes through administrators' minds.

I've been so close to buying Butter Pecan more times than I can count. Your picture is not helping my restraint.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 12:10:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you have to go through your job change. I hope it's all fine in the end.

Nice yarn!

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 3:03:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to say - Wow! 70 lbs?!! Amazing!

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 3:04:00 AM EDT  
Blogger sarah lou said...

*hugs* i'm sorry for your rough situation, but i honestly believe that your positivity does a lot to keep you sane. and the fact that you surround yourself with other good/positive people. :)

yay new yarn! i think i hear another baby pair of socks calling so i'm cleared for saturday. ;)

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 9:23:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry about the move!! I hope it will work out to be a blessing. Love the new yarn!!

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 10:09:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am going to be in colombus w/ a knitting friend on the june 9 & 10. what is the knitters connection? and can anyone show up?

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 11:03:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Karen said...

Go to www.knittersconnection.com for more info. It's a fiber festival/trade show. There are different classes that are mostly filled now, but also a great exhibitors market for shopping. The market has a charge of $5 to enter, but one can shop all day there! :-)

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 7:46:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

karen,
thank you so much for the link. it sounds like fun.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 10:11:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry about the change. We'll all just need to have more and more fun knitting adventures to circumvent the stress.
I heart the Daffodil! So bright! So fun!

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 2:16:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A self-confessed yarnaholic - I'm drooling!

Wednesday, June 6, 2007 at 7:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger g-girl said...

wow..why did your admin. decide this?? that's so strange. you're handling it as best as you can..you've added some lovely colorways to your yarn stash! :)

Friday, June 8, 2007 at 3:36:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home