Saturday, June 09, 2007

Insane... and Perfect

Knitters Connection Part One
How do I even begin to describe a day that so full of yarny goodness that it was insane? I think I am still high on the yarn fumes!


The wonderful Sarah Lou picked me up (almost) promptly and we hit Starbucks and then the highway south for Columbus. She drove down, looking all of 20 yrs old with her pony tails, while I knitted. (We had decided ahead of time that she would drive down and I would drive home so we would both get knitting time.) We gabbed and sang and made decent time. After parking we found the exhibit hall for Knitters Connection without incident and paid our teeny $5 entry fee.

That's when we got our first surprise of the day. Along with the admission, each person received a goody bag containing a Brown Sheep water bottle, 2 full skeins of yarn (each varied), an August 07 issue of Knit n Style magazine, and a mini skein of yarn (mine was Claudia Handpainted)!! The contents of the goody bag alone was worth over $20. The lovely lady taking our $5 then handed each of us a raffle ticket for door prizes. Remember that for later.

Sarah and I could barely contain ourselves. We needed to get inside that big room full of yarn! Originally we planned to cruise the whole hall and then make purchases afterward. That plan lasted for... ummm... less than half of one side of the room!

So when did it really get insane? Ask Jacki and Gail! It did not take us long to find the Cider Moon booth and the lovely ladies who dye all the yummy yarns! As promised, my Banana Cabana had been tucked away for me, along with some yarns Sarah had requested. Travis was sporting some killer socks! He also took a great shot of us Toledo girls with the Cider Moon girls. In our defense though, Sarah and I both bought gifts for other people. Gifts don't count!

Sarah going insane in the Cider Moon booth.

Gayle, Sarah, Jacki and Me

Another delight of the day was meeting Karida of Neighborhood Fiber Co. Her yarns are amazing and they are all named after neighborhoods in Washington, D.C.! Sarah and I had a great time chatting with Karida and her booth helper, Karen. Then we found out Karen just recently moved to Toledo! Karen, please join us at Yarn Haven on Tuesday evening, OK?

Just after meeting Karida, Sarah and I decided we needed to make a run to the parking garage for a little more money. I hadn't brought all of mine in with me. We also needed some lunch, and decided upon sushi, salad and soup. It was perfect, and we knitted for a few minutes as well. While finishing lunch, I wondered out loud who won the door prizes. "I never win anything," I said to Sarah, and we headed back to the exhibit hall. "Look at this," Sarah said, "Whoever won this prize is one number off from my ticket." Sqeeeeeeeee! It was me! I won an orangey woven tote with bamboo handles. Inside was another hank of yarn (blue wool) and 2 books (one knit, one crochet) and a box of baby crochet patterns! You all know what knitting books cost. I received basically 3 of them, plus yarn and a tote.

You're probably also wondering what I bought. Yarn! (duh) Two necklaces. Stitch markers. A couple of gifts that I won't post about yet. A really awesome beaded scarf kit; Interlacements yarn, beads and pattern. I wouldn't have bought this normally, but the beads were already strung. I tried on the sample scarf, and fell in love. (Pictures of all of that will come soon!)

Two fiber friends, spending the day fondling yarn and enabling each other. Totally insane and yet... perfect. We had to finish the day by doing this. After all, it was World Wide Knit in Public Day!


Banana Cabana, step away from the beer!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun! More pictures please. :)

Sunday, June 10, 2007 at 11:32:00 AM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Sounds like you had a blast! There is a kind of yarn madness that takes over, but sounds like you guys showed a modicum of restraint. I'd never be so well behaved :o)

Sunday, June 10, 2007 at 12:47:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun!!! I wish I was there.

Sunday, June 10, 2007 at 4:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger sarah lou said...

you forgot to share that gail asked if anyone ever told me i looked like julia roberts!! ;) hahaha

it was so fun. thanks for spending your whole saturday with me, fiber friend! :) uploaded my pics and i will post soon.

Monday, June 11, 2007 at 9:06:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Karida said...

It was great to meet you too! And make sure to bug Karen at her blog too (http://winelips.blogspot.com). And call her Brax.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 11:01:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god! The two of you are too cute! Next year I want in! :)

Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 11:34:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home