Friday, June 08, 2007

It's Official! Summer is Here!

Last night it was still 85 degrees at 9:30 PM. I went outside with the dogs, and if the temperature wasn't enough to convince one that summer has arrived, I have other proof. Lightning bugs!

The arrival of the lightning bugs always marks the start of summer for us here. Mayhem and Absent Minded Professor had just been tucked into bed and I normally would have excitedly gone and fetched them to get their bug jars and join me in the backyard. They had school this morning and so did I. Tonight will be fine for catching the fireflies, I'm sure. My cousins in Germany told me last summer that they do not have these wonderful creatures there, and they took great delight in catching them with me and my kids while they were visiting here. I think we big kids had more fun than the under-18 aged kids.

Tomorrow morning Sarah and I head to Columbus for Knitters Connection. Our first road trip! Look out world, here we come!

Banana Cabana sock #2 is growing. Amazing how fast one can knit when the pattern is memorized!! I decided last night, after Mayhem found my Panda Cotton Strawberry Limes yarn, to cast on for another pair of socks as well. Really, it was more like I was coerced. I'm using the Just Ribbing pattern and will make them smaller for Mayhem. They're pink and green. (If you click on the link and scroll down you can see what the color looks like knitted up.)

No pictures today. How boring is that? Shhhh I'm at work and I'm in the middle of packing boxes. Really. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Wendee said...

We don't have lightning bugs in the Pacific NW - the first time I ever saw them in person was a couple of summers ago on the Mall in Washington DC on a lovely summer evening. It was the coolest thing!!

Friday, June 8, 2007 at 10:50:00 AM EDT  
Blogger sarah lou said...

road trip! road trip! road trip!

is it tomorrow, yet?!?! hehehe

you should hear the argument going on in my head about what is a feasible/reasonable amount of dollars to take.

Friday, June 8, 2007 at 11:37:00 AM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

You guys are gonna have some fun. And a huge yarn fumes hangover :o)

It'll be worth it, though! We expect pictures documenting the weekend activities.

Friday, June 8, 2007 at 12:04:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth said...

I saw fireflies here for the first time of the season just a couple nights ago so 200 miles south isn't that far ahead of you. :)

Have a great time this weekend. Buy great stuff!

Friday, June 8, 2007 at 1:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger g-girl said...

we don't have lightning bugs in California either! I've never seen one in real life! :( Only in movies!

Friday, June 8, 2007 at 3:32:00 PM EDT  
Blogger becky c. said...

I never saw a lightning bug until we moved to Des Moines when I was 21 and I have never gotten over how cool they are. Still think fairy dust must be somehow involved.

Have a fab trip - can't wait to see what comes home with you.

Friday, June 8, 2007 at 8:02:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the changing of the seasons!

Have a great time!

Saturday, June 9, 2007 at 1:50:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky!!!! I really wanted to go to the Columbus thing. I even have an aunt who lives there!! Too bad I am broke!! :)

Saturday, June 9, 2007 at 11:04:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home