Sunday, June 17, 2007

Whirlwind Tour and Emotions

I just flew in from the coast and man, are my arms tired! *groan* (That's for you, B.)

OK, so I didn't fly. I spent way too much time in a charter bus. Way worse. Especially with an overly-flatulent adolescent named Monty. Don't ask!

I didn't knit nearly as much as I thought I would be able to, but managed to complete about 1/2 of one sock on the way to Gettysburg. Two friends that live near there met me (and my 85 kids!) for dinner after we finished the battlefield tour. (Thanks, Buddy B, for indulging me!) It was great to see them, and they were great sports about eating dinner with us.

Washington, DC was fabulous, however. It wiped out the negative aspects of the bus ride. *My kids* (for in many ways they are mine after a year of nurturing them along) were funny and for the most part very good. They received compliments about how well-behaved they were as a large group. We found the names of family members on the Vietnam Wall for some of them.
Here is a group of my kids at Mount Vernon, totally unaware that I am snapping their photo!

My two peeps who had the honor of performing the Wreath Laying Ceremony at The Tomb of the Unknown Solidiers performed beautifully and with so much poise that I couldn't help but cry as I watched and took photos. The young lady came into seventh grade so unsure of how her year would be, and look at her! (Sorry, you only get the back.) We had a gorgeous wreath, as you can see.

See all of those orange shirts? Our tracking system. It worked fabulously! On day two the shirts were safety (neon) green. I was standing at the top of the Lincoln Memorial looking down when I took this, and could see all of my Bus One kids (41 kids) that had already gone down from the memorial.


This morning, at the ungodly hour of 5:40, we pulled up in front of school to unload the two buses of very tired children, some of whom had never been out of the state of Ohio. "I'll see you all in August," I announced over the bus PA system. "Hey, I didn't flunk! None of us did or we wouldn't have gone on the trip!" one of the more awake boys called out. "You're right. You're all going to 8th grade. And after 17 years in seventh grade myself, it's been decided I am going there too," I told the busload. "YAY!!! Alright! Yes! Woohoo! Awesome! Dude!" I heard back.
Again with the tears. I'm blaming it on lack of sleep.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

That's awful sweet, Karen. What an honor. You're doing good things for the soon-to-be-eighth graders of T-Town!

Too bad about the gassy guy :o(

Sunday, June 17, 2007 at 8:26:00 PM EDT  
Blogger becky c. said...

Awww! They lurve you!!

No miters yet?! :)

Sunday, June 17, 2007 at 9:07:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you had a great time! Washington DC is one of my favorite places, and it sounds like the kids were on their best behavior, so how could you go wrong? :) Get some rest!

Sunday, June 17, 2007 at 9:38:00 PM EDT  
Blogger sarah lou said...

yay w.d.c. :) glad you survived and glad you're back to knit with me at my whim. ;) can't wait to hear more about the whole thing!

Sunday, June 17, 2007 at 9:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger g-girl said...

well, sounds like a good time was had by all and the kids did a fabulous job. And they're glad that you'll be going to 8th grade with them. That's sweet.

Monday, June 18, 2007 at 4:21:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Wendee said...

Great job in getting them (and you) all home in one piece! Those kids will remember their journey to DC for the rest of their lives. It sounded like a positively splendid trip!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 2:42:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one inspiring trip!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 at 8:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Karen said...

I love D.C.! I plan to make it to the Tuesday night knitting someday soon. June is super busy for me, but I hope to be there next week!

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 8:46:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home