Thursday, October 25, 2007

Holy Hives, Batman

You probably think I forgot all about giving you an update on the dinner theater, right? Wrong!

The evening at Gratzi was wonderful! Buddy Bill had never eaten there, but I had. As always, the food was fabulous, and the service impeccable. Bill was pleasantly surprised by the food. We both ordered chicken dishes, but different types, and shared. The performers were fun; they clearly enjoyed what they were doing, and that made for an enjoyable evening. Good food, a glass of wine and wonderful company. All that on a school night!

It took me a while to get to sleep after I got home, which is pretty normal for me. The problem was, I woke up at 2:15 AM itching like mad. A peek in the bathroom mirror confirmed my suspicions: Hives!!! EEEEK! I don't have food allergies, so it wasn't something I ate. No med changes, either. I decided against benadryl at 3:00 AM because I would have trouble getting up at 6:00. The problem with that plan was that I didn't get any sleep at all! The itching nearly drove me mad and I ended up calling in sick at 6:30 in order to medicate myself enough to sleep.

Brainstorming all day, and consulting Bill and another good friend, W, resulted in the following conclusion: stress. There's someone at work that is really annoying me and the hives were a reaction to the stress. I was going to nix that theory until the hives started to flare up again today after a run-in with that person. That person isn't going away, so I have to figure something out. I can't take sleep-inducing antihistamines every day! Any ideas? I would knit, but remember I'm not allowed to knit at school!!! ARRRRGGGGHHH!

OK, here's two happy photos:

This is one reason why my favorite color is red.


Bruno says, "Gimme a cookie!" (How can anyone resist that face??)

The afghan is almost done. Watch this space for a photo!!!!!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

try over-the-counter pepcid, claritin or any other antihistimine. i have the same problem and use allegra, which i already have prescribed for allergies. try taking them before you go to work, they won't make you drowsy. if they don't go away or if you have ANY trouble breathing, go immediately to the er. you may need a shot of steroids.

the name for our condition....idiopathic uticaria aka itching for some god-forsaken reason no one can figure out! (usually the idiot at work who's making your life miserable!)

isn't it the wierdest thing, i always feel like i've got critters crawling under my skin!

good luck!!!!!!!

Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 7:14:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anti-anxiety drugs - just my 2 cents ;)

Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 10:22:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the Claritin or in my case Wal-itin. lol (Generic)

Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 10:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth said...

I'm so lucky never to have had hives but my mom uses OTC Claritin. So I'm just seconding the other suggestions. It doesn't make her drowsy and is worth a try.

And good grief - blogger's security nonsense words are driving me nuts. My typing skillz just aren't that great. They should at least use a type font that's easy to read.

Friday, October 26, 2007 at 12:05:00 AM EDT  
Blogger becky c. said...

Once you have the itching under control, wait it out a few days. The list of things that cause hives is longer than my arm - it could be a random virus and not the yahoo at your job. If it is there more than a week, time to call a grown-up doctor. (LOL)

Friday, October 26, 2007 at 6:45:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Maybe you can tell them that knitting at school is the only cure?

Friday, October 26, 2007 at 6:59:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great time! I second Jeanne's thought - tell them you have to knit or be on drugs!

Friday, October 26, 2007 at 11:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

So sorry Karen. I have quite a lot of sympathy for you with regard to those kind of stress-inducing people! I hope you can find a workable solution - and soon!

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 8:35:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home