Monday, October 13, 2008

It's Contagious

Some people swear they are never going to knit socks. I was one of them. Using double pointed needles (DPN's) scared the bejesus out of me. How in the world was I going to manage keeping track of 4 or 5 little needles that, in my mind, were basically elongated toothpicks? I have gone to knit several pairs of socks, big and small, and find socks to be entertaining as well as wonderfully portable projects.

Recently a blogging friend has come to the "dark side" and is now a sock knitter as well. If you check out Knitting Confidential and scroll down to see the October 5 entry, you will find that he (yes, he) has finished a wonderful pair of socks. Way to go, Secret Knitter!

This weekend my parents were in town and Mom, who learned to knit as a child, is knitting again. Guess what she's knitting? Yep, socks. Without a pattern, no less! She needed my help with the heel - turning the heel and remembering how to do the gussett. What makes this incredible is that my mom is nearly blind from macular degeneration. She's knitting socks from memory, people.

The really neat thing is that after seeing me knit, and seeing Oma knit, now my nephew Nicholas wants to knit. Nicholas is 9 and in the 4th grade. He has asked me for a pair of mittens and we have set up a time for me to take over some bigger needles and worsted weight yarn and get him started knitting.

I'll keep you posted on everyone's progress.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So great that your mom is back knitting! I taught a friend to knit this week too!

Monday, October 13, 2008 at 12:35:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! Yay to old and new knitters!

Monday, October 13, 2008 at 2:20:00 PM EDT  
Blogger the secret knitter said...

Yes, I've been corrupted.

For those who'd rather not scroll through bad rock concert photos and pointless blathering, the direct link is here.

Monday, October 13, 2008 at 7:31:00 PM EDT  
Blogger The Gadabout Knitter said...

That's awesome! Way to go on all your recruits!

Fear us! We will rule the world! :)

Monday, October 13, 2008 at 9:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger becky c. said...

Keep spreading the sickness!! New yarn zombies always welcome.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at 11:02:00 AM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

That is way awesome, Karen! I know I'm an "old" lady and shouldn't talk like that but it is.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at 5:24:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So great that your mom and nephew are knitting!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at 9:23:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home