Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Family Reunions and Health Updates

Last week, for the first time ever, I was introduced to part of Bill's family. I met his older half-sister Pat, who lives in Virginia, Pat's husband Gene, and their daughter Shelly (who is a couple years older than I am).

Pat was already 13 years old when Bill was born, so she was grown up and moving out by the time he started to become a person of school age. It's similar in my family; my two oldest sisters are 11 and 12 years older than I am. The difference is that my sibs and I all live close (within 2 hrs) and we all stay close. Bill and Pat didn't stay close after Bill's dad died. He was the glue, the bond they had in common. Of course, I have tried to encourage a reunion. None of us are getting any younger, although I have the advantage, it seems.
;-)

Last week Pat and her family were coming through T-Town on their way to Minnesota to see another daughter and we all agreed to meet for lunch. Bill's oldest, now in law school, had the day off school for Veteran's Day and joined us as well. It was a wonderful lunch with me meeting them, and they meeting me. Pat had some fun stories about when Bill was just a little kid that we hadn't ever heard.

I had decided that meeting Pat for the first time was an event worthy of a hand-knitted gift and I scrambled to put together a Ruffles and Ribs Scarf (Rav link) from Misti Alpaca chunky for Pat. After all, they were heading to Minnesota! As a quilter, I knew she would appreciate the handcraftmanship.

Bill and Big Sis Pat

Will, Bill, Pat, Big Gene, Shelly

DSC_0005

Ruffles and Ribs Scarf in charcoal.


As for my shoulder issues, well...

Yesterday, Tuesday, I had my big shoulder procedure done. The doc told Bill it was just like ripping open the velcro on a toddler's pair of sneakers. Fun, huh? Only the ripping was being done to the scar tissue and adhesive capsulitis in both of my shoulders. I was thoroughly anaesthetised and didn't remember any of that but as soon as I was awake, I asked for ice for both shoulders. I should have remembered what the last round of corticosteroid shots did to me... but noooooooo. I had to learn the hard way all over again by being awake ALL night last night. I went to bed at 4:00AM and finally looked last at the clock at 4:30. I had to be up at 8:30 to get ready for PT. But if I'm a good girl and, do all my exercises, I should get back nearly all my range of motion. Honestly, I don't hurt on day two post-op, nearly as much as I thought I would. Maybe the pain I had before was so much worse?? I'm sure my favorite physical therapists will take care of that for me though. heheheh
Now I have some holiday knitting of my own to work on... I hope.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Amy said...

YAY for meeting new family members!! And YAY for getting the shoulders manipulated! Crossing my fingers that pt goes well and you're pain-free and healed quickly!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 10:53:00 PM EST  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

That's neat you got to meet some of Bill's family. It sounds like everything's going well for your shoulder, yayyyyyy! (And after each hip, I felt like the post-op pain wasn't as bad as what I was living with before) I'm glad you're not in tons of pain - now just be a good girl and do those exercises. : )

Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 12:20:00 PM EST  
Blogger sarah lou said...

that's awesome that the meetup went so well. and i'm so glad you're in less pain, after that scary-sounding procedure! love your face!

Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 12:42:00 PM EST  
Blogger susan noethen said...

good for the shoulders!!!!

and good for meeting the family and having a good time of it!

Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 4:15:00 PM EST  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Oh boy, Karen! The visual on the Velcro analogy is pretty telling. I wondered why my therapist was so intent on breaking up the scar tissue that seemed to keep regenerating.

Sunday, December 5, 2010 at 7:49:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home