Sunday, November 05, 2006

On Being Flexible...

Sometimes you just have to be flexible. I think parenthood teaches that lesson more than any other job on this earth. Today's plan was to bake oatmeal raisin cookies. You know, the chewy ones from scratch using the recipe on the back of the Quaker Oats canister. Absent-Minded Professor was gone for the afternoon playing with his cousins, and I would only have one child to keep track of. (Some of you know why Mayhem is called Mayhem, and why baking cookies would be a challenge with both of my children underfoot. My sister, by taking Absent-Minded Professor, got the easy part of the day!)

Anyway, back to the oatmeal cookies...

Mayhem had other ideas. In the fridge, courtesy of their dad, the kids had this sugar cookie dough that is, I kid you not, the colors of Play Doh. How appetizing can cookies be once the kid has played with the dough like it's Play Doh?? eeeeww None for me, thanks. I read the baking directions and set the oven to pre-heat.

Then I read further... "will likely stain clothing, furniture and some countertops." WTF??? I know a MOTHER did not create this cookie dough! It's a Mayhem dream-come-true. Red, blue, yellow and green cookie dough that can permanently destroy her clothes and mom's new $20,000 kitchen!!!

Deep breath. Lots and lots of wax paper. Very old shirt for Mayhem.

The results?

GO BLUE!!

Some knitting-related activity did happen this weekend. I didn't get as far on the felted tote Friday night as I thought I would. That's OK. It's nearly done. Good news to report, though. The baby kimono has been seamed and all the loose ends woven in. All I have to do is attach the ribbon ties. And guess what? There's pictures!



As for those oatmeal raisin cookies... Well, it's like I said. Sometimes you just have to be flexible.

NOTE: To give Buddy B proper credit, it was a Venti Starbucks on Friday, not a grande. You know, the biggest one they sell! ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home