Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I hate migraines!

My life is busy. Two kids. Two dogs. A full time job. Friends that I like to spend time with. Meaningful hobbies - like knitting. I move at a pretty good pace much of the time, when all of a sudden, WHAM! I'm sidelined by a migraine.

Take today for instance. I woke at 4:00AM with the excruciating pain over my right eye and stumbled to find my migraine medicine. Less than 15 minutes later it was coming back up. I was too late. I knew then I wasn't going to work today. It is not a good day to be sick, either. See?
7:45AM Staff Meeting
9:15AM Meeting on a student that might need testing for special education services
Lunch - whenever I fit it in - go to post office
3:00PM - Pick up Absent Minded Professor (Mayhem has Brownie Troop Meeting)
3:30PM - run home to south end of town to let dogs out
5:00PM - Pick up Mayhem and feed both kids something
6:30PM - be back at school for Mayhem's Spring Program (save their dad a seat)
8:30PM - we might be back at home

This is what the reality of today has been:
4:00AM - Wake up sick and take migraine meds
4:15 AM - Get sicker (I'll spare you the details)
4:30 AM - Call off work, get an ice pack for my head
6:00AM - Let kids' dad know I need him to take kids to school
6:30AM - Turn off phones and hide in dark room from morning noises
7:55AM - Assure Mayhem I will be at Spring Program, promise Absent Minded Professor I will pick him up from school... No Matter What. Allow Labs in bed with me so they stay quiet.
9:27AM - Fling cell phone across room when even "vibrate" mode hurts head
11:21AM - Crawl out of bed to shower, make coffee and get dressed.
Noon - Take another migraine pill, blog, get ready to go to the post office.

It could be worse, and has been worse. Now I take daily meds to prevent migraines which has greatly reduced the frequency of these attacks, thank goodness. The timing, however, really stinks. Sometimes these attacks can last for days, affecting my mental health in ugly ways. Anyone who also suffers from migraines knows exactly what I mean. Anyone who doesn't get migraines, should count their lucky stars. The pain can be incomprehensible. I'd rather do labor and childbirth.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger picperfic said...

you poor thing...I do get migraines and in the same way you describe. I even need the doctor occasionally for a jab to stop the vomiting. I now have a brilliant little tablet (buccastem)that I put up between my gum and top lip and it slowly gets absorbed through the gum and it stops the nausea. About an hour after using this tablet i can then take my maigraine tablet (naramig)and then about 2 hours later my migrains has gone and I only need painkillers to deal with the last bit of pain. I used to be in a dark room for up to three days with my migraines but not now I hve these tablets to help me. Hope this helps, I do understand how it feels....M

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 1:44:00 PM EDT  
Blogger KnitterBunny said...

luckily no migraines for me yet, can't imagine the pain

would you say similar or worse than having all 4 wisdom teeth removed after having one infected for two weeks?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 2:20:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Dana said...

Ugh, you poor thing. I too get my fair share of migraines (relpax is my drug of choice). I tried a daily preventive but hated the side effects too much to keep taking it. Luckily I don't usually get sick, but every now and then it's close. Take care! If only there was a "pause" button for real life...

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 2:29:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God, I feel for you. I've had that for the last year. I thought it was migraines. Turns out it was sinus. That's why I had sinus surgery last week. I really, really hope it stops--haven't had a headache in a week!
Thanks for your well wishes on my blog!
Tricia

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 4:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger sarah lou said...

if you're up to it tomorrow night, i could be convinced to knit over a beer, or something.

sorry about your rough day. hope the performance tonight isn't too loud. :) *very quiet hugs*

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 4:45:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awful!! I hope you're feeling better! I had a hell of a migraine yesterday. Ick.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 6:01:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Kristin said...

feel better!!!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 7:09:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for this! I've never had a migraine so can only sympathize with the pain you are going through.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 8:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger toledonative said...

Oooof! I feel your pain! That totally sucks. You sound like me - mine wake me up in the wee hours of the morning and I'm hurling from the pain almost before I know what hit me. No time for meds! I've gotten em since I was 12. (!) Mine are mostly hormone-related, so I try to head them off with preventative pain meds. Hang in there - it may just be your body's way of saying you needed a break from the hectic pace of your life! (I know- who has time for a break!)

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 8:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger g-girl said...

oh no. :( sorry to hear you began your day with a migraine! :( I think I've had one before and I couldn't imagine having them on a regular basis. :( rest up.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 at 10:39:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Migranes are the worst ever. I hope you feel better!

Thursday, April 26, 2007 at 12:08:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home