Tuesday, April 17, 2007

New Gadget and a To-Do List

Do you have gadgets that help you with your knitting and yarn management?

I have a ball winder. I even have a swift to hold those big hanks of yarn while winding them into balls. What I didn't have was a way to accurately measure when dividing those hanks into two (or more) equal balls of yarn. I've tried eye-balling. Being new to sock knitting, I just didn't want to take a chance on not having equal amounts of yarn for each sock. Know what I did? I treated myself to a new gadget over the weekend. It's a Salter food scale that weighs in grams and ounces, and is perfect for weighing yarn! Look at that. Half a Banana Cabana.

And All My Gadgets. No, it's not a soap opera. That would be funny though. Will the ball winder run away with the scale? Is the swift cheating on the ball winder? Tune in next time to find out who says, "I can't believe you let Red Rover get all wound up!"



Buddy B wanted to know what I was dealing besides sock yarn. Shhhhh! B. You're a bad influence.

This week I have a long list of things I want to accomplish:

  1. Mail a yarny gift to my friend Hilde in Norway. I bought some Cider Moon for her!

  2. Finish putting together the package for my Knitters Treat Exchange Pal.

  3. Mail a baby gift to a friend that I've had finished for a while.

  4. Send off my hat to The Loopy Ewe for the Quarterly Challenge.

  5. Reserve and pay for seats at LYS Vintage Yarns to hear Annie Modesitt speak on May 1.(DONE!)

Looking at the list, I realize that the USPS is going to love me here shortly. Gotta run. I'm heading to a SnB at Yarn Haven, which is still website-less. Checking out a new store and meeting up with girls!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger miss ewe said...

So. Very. Jealous.
A scale is all that is missing from my gadgetry!
Have fun tonight!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 6:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger toledonative said...

It was great to finally meet you in person tonight! (and your YELLOW yarn!)

Yarn Haven will not be website-less for too much longer. They have asked me to design and maintain a website for them which I will start on as soon as school is out (grad school thesis-writing + regular school is just too much at once!). So hang in there - hopefully by the end of June they'll have a website! :)

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 9:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger KnitterBunny said...

Hey! I have a salter scale too. :)

I weighed how much of 8 oz. bump was left after my spinning last night, 7 1/8 oz. Blast. I thought that I had made it one whole ounce spun. :(

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 9:51:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cool! I love gadgets.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 11:16:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Liz said...

Oooh! A scale! I want a scale! Not that I quite know what I'd do with it, though, given that I think I'm giving up on knitting socks. But it's a gadget, and I loves me some gadgets!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 8:36:00 AM EDT  
Blogger sarah lou said...

i, too, enjoy a good gadget, now and then. ;)

it was so fun to meet up and i hope we can do so lots from now on! two weeks at the longest for the next one! thanks for reserving our spots and turning me on to the loopy ewe and cider moon!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 9:05:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Dana said...

I broke down and got a scale recently, it's been fun to not "eyeball" yarn any more. Much more accurate.

Are all the spots taken to see AM in Lambertville? I checked and it's only about an hour from me.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 10:14:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Karen said...

Dana, as of yesterday, half of the 40 available seats were reserved. Call Vintage Yarns and see. They will hold a spot if you call!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 11:41:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Dana said...

I got my name on their list! I may be coming alone, so I'll be looking forward to seeing a familiar face. (I probably won't have a name tag on this time though)

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 at 12:56:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home