Sunday, April 01, 2007

No Fooling!

Today I am going to meet The Yarn Harlot! I may even meet up with some fellow bloggers while in Ann Arbor. I have my book and sock in progress all set to go.

It's also Mayhem's 8th birthday. Yes, she's an April Fool. The joke's been on me ever since that day eight years ago!

I'll update you all later with pictures and details.

**********************************************
Back now with the scoop! First, Stephanie's flight was unable to land in Detroit. She was sent to Chicago where she had to find a different, later flight to Detroit. We were told that she would be two hours late. Thank goodness downtown Ann Arbor is loaded with things to see and do, including a decent yarn shop, Busy Hands, just two blocks from the library. Busy Hands was giving a 15% discount to all shoppers!

Fellow bloggers, Knitter Bunny (Kelli), Red Dog Knits (Kristi), OCD Knitting (Dana) and a group of others walked over to go shopping. I bought some light blue Reynolds Sea Wool to make (what else?) socks. After reading Kristi's blog and trading emails, it was fun to meet her, and surprising to find I was seated right behind her! Here she is with her Otis yarn.


Of course, while we waited, we all had knitting and it was fun to talk and see what everyone was working on. There were more socks than one could count. Others worked on shawls and sweaters. I even spied one older gentleman two rows in front of me knitting what appeared to be a sweater! (See, Buddy B? Men DO knit!)

Finally Stephanie arrived, breathless, running for the podium. Standing there in her beautiful Bohus sweater, the first word out of her mouth was, "Crap!" She then described the ordeal she had trying to get to Ann Arbor. I don't think the word "arse" ever came out of her mouth, though. Not even once!



The Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl McPhee, with me. She has my sock and I have hers. Steph even recognized me. "You're Karen in Toledo!"

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

It was so great to meet you too! Thanks for the compliment on Tempting (blush), it IS my proudest achievement.

I'll keep checking in on you, maybe we'll meet up again!

Monday, April 2, 2007 at 9:01:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi karen,
dirty sue here. the older man, robert, was making a hat. he was a retired librarian who, when the kiddie parade came through said, "let's poke 'em w/ our needles." it was fun to meet you and so many other knitters.

Monday, April 2, 2007 at 11:43:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi Dirty Sue! I loved meeting you and smuggling your Cheetos in my tote. :-) Stay in touch, OK? I'm adding wet wipes to my knitting bag!

Monday, April 2, 2007 at 12:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger sarah lou said...

hi karen in toledo! i'm in toledo, too! do you do the knitter/weaver guild? i haven't yet, but i've been thinking about it. anyway, i'm sarah lou and i'm wandering the blogs of the folks i saw around, yesterday. if you ever want to meet for coffee & knitting or something, look me up... skeinsandbeans.com

Monday, April 2, 2007 at 1:05:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many knitbloggers I didn't meet... guess I should have worked at mingling more. Oh well. Great photos and account of the day. And I'm pretty sure I heard her say arse, just don't need to let her know it. ;)

Monday, April 2, 2007 at 1:33:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to meet you, finally! We are planning a potential knit bloggers reunion this summer, so you will for sure be on the guest list. Interesting photo. Paybacks will be sweet for the next meet-up ;)

Monday, April 2, 2007 at 4:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger KnitterBunny said...

KAREN! Oh, I'm so sad that you live so far away. Im going to be in MI at the end of June and I'm hoping to put together a Threadbear and/or lunch meet-up. I'm adding you to my bloglines so I remember to invite you. :)

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 at 10:31:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi -- Robert (the white haired gentleman in front of Dirty Sue and I was really funny. "Orange" who sat next to him was actually knitting toe ups on size 000! Ouch! She could do some serious poking! Jean (blogless, but friend of Sue, Kristi and Kel

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 at 1:15:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

You look as thrilled as I'm sure you were! Glad you had such a good time with Stephanie in AA. (Er, I mean Ann Arbor.)

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 at 8:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger g-girl said...

wow, she recognized you! that's awesome. :)

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 at 10:23:00 PM EDT  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Yikes! What an ordeal. Sounds like you all made the best of it.

Poor Stephanie. Despite everything it appears she and the Bohus held up just fine. Love the big smile on Karen In Toledo!

- Karen in Chicago :o)

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 at 11:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Chris said...

LOL - ok, we take pictures about equally well, eh?! :) Sounds fun, even though it was rather delayed.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 at 1:01:00 PM EDT  
Blogger asfjh said...

it's ace to see men who knit:)

Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 4:03:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home