Wednesday, May 30, 2012

We Have Winners!

May 19 was a beautiful day for participating in Race For The Cure with my sister.  Nearly 50,000 walkers and runners of all ages turned out in Columbus, making it the 3rd largest event in the country!
There is my sister, a survivor, in her pink shirt, with me walking just in front of her.  We walked in memory of some who have not won their battle, and in support of some still fighting.

Thanks to all of you who contributed, I was able to make a donation of $300 to Race For The Cure.  75% of that money will stay in Central Ohio to help diagnose and treat cancer patients.  The remaining 25% goes to national breast cancer research.  I pray that we will start seeing cures in our lifetimes.

Now, on to the prizes!!

Prize 1.  The Dream in Color Yarn goes to Deb P!

Prize 2.  The yellow Dancin' Nanners now belongs to Bobbie, co-owner of Yarn Cravin'!

Prize 3.  The Tall Birches from Keegan Lane Yarns now belongs to Mary Nicholas!

Prize 4.  Dr. Becky is the winner of the Creatively Dyed yarn.

Prize 5.  The Watermelon yarn is going to live my friend Sarah Sagaser!

Prize 6.  Dale Ann, co-owner of Yarn Cravin' is winner of the Perfect Day Yarn

Prize 7.  Kay H. wins the Noni Book of Flowers.

Prize 8.  Mel "Gimme The Yarn" wins the Wollmeise!!  Way to go, Mel!  (You're knitting me socks, right?!)

I will deliver prizes to Yarn Cravin' on Thursday.  They will be in a bag labeled with your name.  Congratulations!!

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Still Hating Cancer - My Annual Appeal, and A Contest!

If you know me well, you know that cancer has invaded my life far too often.  Less than a year ago I lost my dad to metastatic lung cancer.  A few years before that, my older sister, Ursula was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Fortunately, she was diagnosed early, and has been cancer-free for over four years now.

In celebration of that, but also for those still battling, my sister and I are participating in Race For The Cure in Columbus, OH, to help raise funds for cancer research, but also to raise money for the ten county area in Central Ohio. The money raised stays in Central Ohio to fund mammograms and cancer treatment for people without insurance and those with financial hardships.  Our Race is May 19, 2012.  That's coming up soon!!!

My guess is that you know someone who has had breast cancer, or your family has been affected by breast cancer in some way. One in EIGHT people will be diagnosed with breast cancer during their lifetime. Look around Starbucks. Look around the grocery checkout line. Look down the pew at church. Glance around your office at your co-workers, or around the table at Sunday dinner, or even around your local yarn shop.  Who is next?

You can help! I'm asking if you're reading that you consider making a small, tax-deductible donation. You can make it honor of someone winning their battle. Make it memory of someone who fought a valiant fight. Make it for your children, so they can grow up in a world without cancer. No amount of money is too insignificant. Go without that $4.95 venti latte for one day.

So, as an incentive, readers, I'm offering up some yarn and other prizes  Yes, there is WOLLMEISE! I will do a drawing on May 20, 2012.  $5 gives you one chance to win.  $25 is six chances to win.  $50 is 12 chances to win.  You may only win one prize so that the yarny goodness will be spread around.

1.  Make a donation here:  Karen's Donation Page

2.  Email me at with verification of donation

3.  Leave a comment here, please!

PRIZES (in the order in which they will be drawn)

1. DSC_0212
"Be Bold" from Dream in Color 100% superfine Australian Merino

 2. DSC_0216
"Dancin' Nanners" from Dizzy Blonde Yarn.  100% Merino  A whopping 560 yds!

 3. DSC_0224
 From Meliabella of Keegan Lane Yarns, Toasty Sock Big Footies in "Tall Birches."  85% superwash wool, 25% nylon

 4. DSC_0221
Creatively Dyed "Luxury", 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon

5. DSC_0218
"Watermelon" by All Things Heather.  Superwash Merino, approx. 360 yds.

6. DSC_0220
Beat Sock in "Time of Fire" by Perfect Day Yarns.  Sarah is no longer dyeing yarn, so don't miss your chance!

. DSC_0229
7. This book is autographed and dated by the author! Noni Flowers, by Nora Bellows.

 8. DSC_0227
Wollmeise.  "My old blue Jeans"  574 yards.

I appreciate your help and support, wish you great luck in the contest, and hope you enter!