Saturday, April 28, 2007

Jumping into the pond...

the frog pond.

Growing up I was taught that if something was worth doing, it was worth doing right. "If you don't have time do something right, when will you find time to do it again?" we kids would be reminded. This mainly was in reference to schoolwork and chores we had to do around the house, but it was a lesson that stuck.

I could rename this lesson "Don't knit a sock gussett and instep with a migraine."

At Mayhem's program the other night, I had my sock along, and while waiting for the second graders to perform, I knitted. I turned the heel and picked up my stitches on both sides of the heel flap and started knitting the gussett. Knit in public. Represent. Nearing the finish of the gussett and getting close to starting the foot. Fine and dandy, right?

Wrong!

I didn't pay attention to the garter rib pattern from the top of the sock that should have continued along the instep. Instead, I proceeded with regular k2 p2 ribbing. I didn't chronicle the sock debacle with photos.

Said error was discovered yesterday (Friday). I looked at the sock. I pondered the sock. Keep it as is? Call it a design element? Let's face it, I am not a fast sock knitter. The thought of frogging back to the beginning of the gussett wasn't appealing. "Rip it. Rip it," that nagging voice in my head kept saying. I set the sock aside and decided to put off a decision.

This morning, while knitting with Sarah, the decision was made to frog. If you check her blog, you'll see I'm not alone in the frog pond. Poor Sarah had to start over completely. (Funny, we're both knitting with Cider Moon right now...)

But hey, at least I have good company in the pond!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger miss ewe said...

You KNOW I am feeling your pain. I'm sure it will be worth it, and as Josie said in my comments, ripping is a skill just like cabling or casting-off. Can't wait to see the end result!

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 10:38:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Karen said...

Thanks, Kate! Yep, you're in the frog pond, too. How are the new sleeves coming along?

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 10:58:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Liz said...

Another denizen of the frog pond here! Hang in there, this too shall pass (or so they say).

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 10:20:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This must be the weekend for frogging socks because I just did that too. Argh!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 3:05:00 AM EDT  
Blogger sarah lou said...

it does feel better to know i'm not alone. i finished knitting the clapotis last night so i got to play with my sweet potato pie again. :) i'll tuck ends in and block, tonight and clapotis officially counts as an FO for april. you're right about doing things right, though. no sense having beautiful socks that you'll always really know could have been better.

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 9:52:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home