Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Some Things I learned

Once again, I found meeting a Knitting author to be enlightening. Like me, Annie Modesitt is a self-taught knitter. She's been told, "you're doing it wrong," more than once, and has even had people take over her knitting to show her the right way. Ha! Annie has also worked for Vogue Knitting making samples and as technical writer. She eventually got over what others thought about her "wrong way" of knitting, discovering later that it is actually "combination knitting". Again, there are many ways to get to the end result. Knitting has kept Annie sane through some tough times and there are many, many readers out there who can relate to that. You know I can.

Know what else I learned? Annie grew up in Toledo. OK, I knew that from her book, Confessions of a Knitting Heretic. BUT, she went to school in the district where I work. Annie went to junior high here, in my building where I work every day!!! Annie walked these halls, and sat in these classrooms where my knitting and I spend our days. How cool is that? We had the chance to chat about it for a couple of minutes. She admired my simple garter stitch scarf and signed my book, "To Karen - I love your scarf!" The scarf is made from Cascade Malizia in a rose, green and tan colorway and looks like it has butterflies or flowers in it because of the way the yarn is made. Here is Annie's account of the evening... you can even see Sarah in the bottom right of the photo!

Vintage Yarns owner, Shirleen, was sweet enough to give everyone in attendance a 15% off coupon for her shop. After Annie finished speaking, Sarah and I headed into the store to get goodies! We both bought Cotton Fleece to make the Rusted Root sweater. Sarah chose two different colors, Candy Apple and Periodot. I chose a very light blue called Nymph.
Pictures of the evening...

Lovely Sarah modeling one of Annie's hats.

Annie Modesitt with her amazing hats and knitting.

Me, Annie, and Sarah. "Say 'Sheyboygan'"

Other news? I finally managed to score some of Yarn Pirate's lovely "Malamute"!! How? I commented recently on Sheri's blog (you know, Sheri from The Loopy Ewe) about missing a recent update but being told there wasn't any Malamute that time around anyway. Georgia, the Yarn Pirate herself, emailed me info about where and approximately when to find some Malamute. Today, One Planet Yarn and Fiber had an update and I grabbed my Malamute and ran! Yay me!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger sarah lou said...

i look, in that first pic, a little bit like the mean old neighbor lady who becomes the wicked witch in wizard of oz... but yay! and more fun to be had on friday!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 7:26:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cute is Sarah??? What a doll! Annie is coming to Threadbear soon - I'm gonna try to meet and greet ;)

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 7:41:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great and enlightening time!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 10:03:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 10:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger g-girl said...

that is so cool that Annie went to the middle school you work at! awesome that she loved your scarf too! ;)

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 11:18:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home