Saturday, May 05, 2007

Very Tasty

I was cordially invited, by Sarah, to attend a yarn tasting last night with her and Johari. The event took place at LYS, Yarn Haven. Having never attended a yarn tasting, I found myself wondering what to expect. How well-cooked would the yarn be? Felted or raw? Does one use fingers or sticks? What if something tasted icky? What if I *gasp* spilled something? I decided to take my set of Denise Interchangeables just to be safe.

Being among other fiber fanatics, I shouldn't have even worried a single bit. Sarah did insist on taking a few photos of us tasting the yarn. (And I DO mean tasting!) Photos may show up over on her blog. (Go wish her a Happy Birthday!!) I didn't take any pictures. I do have a shot of what we tasted, though:



Starting at the top left and going clockwise, Amaizing (made from corn), Paca De Seda (alpaca), Karaoke, Dream, and Flake Cotton (orange). I enjoyed knitting with the Flake Cotton. The thick/thin texture of the yarn creates a pattern of thick and thin stitches in whatever you knit. I didn't buy any of these yarns, though. I bought 3 balls of Naturally Nazareth wool in shades of blue (on clearance) to make a felted bag and some Addi Turbo needles.

Why more Addi's? you ask. This week, while babysitting students who were making up the required Ohio Achievement Tests, I taught myself a new trick. Look!



Yes, that's a sock on two circular needles. Lorna's Laces Red Rover, if you want to know the yarn color. Addi size 2's. Last night I bought two pair of size 1's.

Why size 1's? In anticipation of this, which arrived in the mail today. Yarn Pirate yarn!!!



"Malamute" is here! and "Cannon Beach."

The long-coveted "Malamute"

When I get stressed or have decision-making to do, a couple of things happen. I lose sleep because I can't shut off my brain. Second, I have occupy my brain with something else, like learning something new. Hence the sock on two circular needles. I just needed to wrap my brain around something other than what has been bouncing around in my head lately. Might as well learn a new trick, right? I also cast-on for the Baby Surprise Jacket this week. (Don't worry, it's not for me!)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger miss ewe said...

Yummy yarn! I especially love your LL colourway! Let me know what you think of Baby Surprise... I feel one coming on. (but don't worry, not for me either!)

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 5:25:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth said...

Wow - the Malamute is sooo cute! Maybe I should cast on my STR Lucy to take the edge off my yarn envy. :)

I've also got a BSJ going. They're so addictive.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 5:43:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice yarn and sock, me and Kelly really have to get to that yarn shop this week. I need to shop(dont tell hubby)!! Although I still have a gift certificate from Fiberworks from Christmas.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 6:25:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Liz said...

yarn tasting -- very cool. For a while I subscribed to the Yarn of the Month Club, which sent enough of each of four yarns to make a swatch each month. It was really, really neat to get a feel for how different fibers, weights, and types of yarn behave. Regarding the baby surprise jacket -- I should hope it's not for you! You wouldn't fit into it. (sorry. Couldn't resist). I hope whatever you are wrapping your head around resolves itself quickly and well. Hang in there, dear friend.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 8:18:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOORAY for two cics - it's fun and fast isn't it? I taught myself while on bedrest - I want to also teach myself how to do two on one needle...we shall see ;)

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 9:30:00 AM EDT  
Blogger sarah lou said...

yay yarn tasting! did you see my flickr pics? hahaha thanks again for the birthday sock yarn! :D i was so spoiled this birthday. i will blog of it all soon!

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 9:22:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Dana said...

Once you get skilled on 2 circs, you'll have to try magic loop (if you haven't already). This way you can make MORE socks with the extra needle! I'm such an enabler.

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 1:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Hey I'm going to try socks on 2 needles next, too! I just have to finish my current socks which are taking for-ev-er. Small world. I'm very like you with the whole learning new things thing. It calms down my brain...

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 8:57:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home